• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 sub-band (UHF) loses reception/increased interference in amplified charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

faojk911

Premium Subscriber
Curious if anyone is having reception issues with the amplified charger, specifically with the G5 secondary band (in my instance, UHF 450-512).

I purchased the amplified charger when I learned the external antenna connection also works on the secondary (UHF) band, as well as Unication addressing an external antenna issue in firmware v1.3. The pager will be receiving transmissions on UHF (out of charger, some transmitters 20 miles away). However, once the pager is inserted into the charger and contacts are made, the signal is immediately dropped. While a UHF channel is idle with no activity and the pager is seated in the charger, the signal bars are maxed out. When the antenna is disconnected from the charger, the signal bars disappear. This occurs when using both the included telescopic antenna or an external antenna at my firehouse.

Thinking this was a grounding issue with the BNC connector on the charger (signal bars will immediately disappear when no contact is made to the charger’s BNC connector), Ray's Pager Sales was of great assistance and arranged a warranty replacement of the charger. I am, unfortunately, experiencing identical issues with the replacement charger.

I’m now wondering if there is an issue with the internal components of the pager causing a ground issue, and if anyone here has experienced similar operating issues with their pager and amplified charger. I’m also curious if one of the two ferrite cores on the power cord, particularly the larger one nearest the charger, is playing some role in the interference (the power cord was not exchanged). I’ll also note that I’m not experiencing any degradation of signal on the 800 MHz band while using the charger, strictly UHF.

Thanks in advance!

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
While a UHF channel is idle with no activity and the pager is seated in the charger, the signal bars are maxed out. When the antenna is disconnected from the charger, the signal bars disappear.

I have a G5 UHF 400-470 MHz with the amplified charger and experience the same results as described above.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Here are my numbers with and without the amp with a G5 UHF 400-470. Standard antenna. Post your results.

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 101
  • No_amp.jpg
    No_amp.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
Here are my numbers with and without the amp with a G5 UHF 400-470. Standard antenna. Post your results.
In amplified charger with no signal: -105
No amplified charger with no signal: -129

In amplified charger with signal: -61
No amplified charger with signal: -71

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Numbers look good. I thought you loose signal when in the amp?

In amplified charger with no signal: -105
No amplified charger with no signal: -129

In amplified charger with signal: -61
No amplified charger with signal: -71

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
Numbers look good. I thought you loose signal when in the amp?
faojk911 loses the signal.

I don't understand why the display shows all signal bars when in the charger and without a signal. When removed from the charger and with no signal, there are no signal bars displayed.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
What are you listening to? Analog, DMR?

Try the amp charger and pager at a different location (work /home) and see if anything changes. You can eliminate any power issues if you have a UPS to plug into.

faojk911 loses the signal.

I don't understand why the display shows all signal bars when in the charger and without a signal. When removed from the charger and with no signal, there are no signal bars displayed.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
What are you listening to? Analog, DMR?

Try the amp charger and pager at a different location (work /home) and see if anything changes. You can eliminate any power issues if you have a UPS to plug into.

I'm listening to two DMR conventional systems.

Tried plugging into a UPS with the same results. Tried a different AC adapter with the same results.

Tried the following:
Pager placed into charger > Pager and charger lights turn orange > Antenna bars = 4, No signal RSSI = -99

Removed antenna from the rear of the charger > Antenna bars = 0, No signal RSSI = -127

Replaced antenna on rear of charger> Antenna bars = 4, No signal RSSI = -99

Left the pager in the charger > Unplugged the AC adapter from the charger > Antenna bars = 0, No signal RSSI = -127

Plugged AC adapter back into the charger > Amplified charger "Pager" light not lit but pager charging light is orange > Antenna bars = 0, No signal RSSI = -127

Thanks for your feedback.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
I need thes 4 RSSI numners.

1. Out of charger not receiving
2. Out of charger when receiving message
3 In Charger not receiving -99
4In charger receiving

Removing the antenna or cutting the power doesnt tell us anything. The pager still thinks it is in the amp if you remove the power or rear antenna. It will not use its owwn external antenna when in the amp.

I'm listening to two DMR conventional systems.

Tried plugging into a UPS with the same results. Tried a different AC adapter with the same results.

Tried the following:
Pager placed into charger > Pager and charger lights turn orange > Antenna bars = 4, No signal RSSI = -99

Removed antenna from the rear of the charger > Antenna bars = 0, No signal RSSI = -127

Replaced antenna on rear of charger> Antenna bars = 4, No signal RSSI = -99

Left the pager in the charger > Unplugged the AC adapter from the charger > Antenna bars = 0, No signal RSSI = -127

Plugged AC adapter back into the charger > Amplified charger "Pager" light not lit but pager charging light is orange > Antenna bars = 0, No signal RSSI = -127

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
I need thes 4 RSSI numners.

1. Out of charger not receiving
2. Out of charger when receiving message
3 In Charger not receiving -99
4In charger receiving

Removing the antenna or cutting the power doesnt tell us anything. The pager still thinks it is in the amp if you remove the power or rear antenna. It will not use its owwn external antenna when in the amp.

I used a more active system for this test: DMR signal - Frequency: 461.65000 MHz

1. Out of charger not receiving......-127
2. Out of charger when receiving message......-80
3. In Charger not receiving...-107
4. In charger receiving....-63

Thanks

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Your numbers look good. What is your issue? The signal is not dropping like described above.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
Your numbers look good. What is your issue? The signal is not dropping like described above.
I am only asking why when not receiving a signal does the signal bars show full signal when in the charger and no signal bars when out of the charger?

faojk911

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for reaching out in this thread. Here is my diagnostics:

UHF conventional analog narrowband on 453.5125 MHz utilizing Unication provided telescopic antenna:

Not Receiving OUT of charger: -126 dBm
Not Receiving IN charger: >-90 dBm
Receiving OUT of charger: >-90 dBm
Receiving IN charger: >-90 dBm with significant white noise, audio in and out (as though a distant station)

Just for added info, not receiving IN charger (with no antenna attached to the charger): -121 dBm

This is using the provided power supply plugged directly into a 120V receptacle with no nearby electronics. Similar results occurred at both my residence and firehouse.

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue and have throughout all firmware updates on my g5. It’s ONLY while the battery is charging in the AMP charger. Once it’s fully charged it no longer looses its signal “out of range” I’m only a mile for the tower and it still drops. I’m on a 700mhz phase 2 P25 system. Normally works fine. Soon as I take it out of the amp charger it picks up signal again. If I use the usb to charge it I have no issues. It’s the strangest thing. I’ve upgraded my firmware and has the amp charger replaced x2. It doesn’t happen with my G4 on the SAME system and same charger. ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.