• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 UHF models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Had a couple of questions for those that have a G5 UHF model (any range).

1. how does the pager do on your specific models UHF range, with the stock antenna.

2. what is your prime interest in this range, or what made you purchase this range.

3.And I am curious is there still a UHF A model? I don't see it listed at online sellers. It's UHF range was (is?) 330-400 mhz.

I own a G5 VHF (P2 upgraded), and am beyond impressed with it. I have had it a year. I monitored lot's of VHF Federal last year in Florida, and Kentucky. I have several counties in my area that use VHF P25 (several variety's), and large multi-county , and state wide P25 (P1 and P2) systems. For all of it's limitations (after all it is not a scanner), I absolutely love this pager.

While I like my Uniden 436 for certain things, it will NEVER match my 396xt , I have considered using it for DMR only, and adding another G5. Thats why I was interested in people's opinion's. I am considering a G5 UHF B model , 380-430 mhz. , again for Federal ranges. NOW if UNICATION would just come out with a G6 that had VHF/UHF/700/800-----------I would be the first in line!

Hope this isn't too long winded, just looking for opinion's

madpuma13

I have the dual band vhf version that I use specifically as a pager in the vhf band. My rural fire station hasn't upgraded to p25 or anything.

However, all of the local city services (police, fire, sheriff, ems) are all on the 700-800 band with p25p2. I use the pager to monitor any department that is relevant while on call and it works flawlessly.

Audio is very clear. Although I wish the volume could get louder. I only live a few miles out of town so reception is a non issue.

I'm so impressed with this little unit I wish they made a portable two way radio with all these functions. I'd buy it pretty quick. Especially if it was as durable as this little thing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The "stock" antenna for the G5 secondary band is internal and cannot be swapped, unlike the 7/800 antenna.

That said, I am using it to scan local UHF and it does quite well. 10 or so miles outside of town without issue, across frequencies from 452 to 484.

Haley

The "stock" antenna for the G5 secondary band is internal and cannot be swapped, unlike the 7/800 antenna.

That said, I am using it to scan local UHF and it does quite well. 10 or so miles outside of town without issue, across frequencies from 452 to 484.

I am pretty impressed with the VHF internal antennas (considering). That's good to know on the UHF antenna. I just don't see as many people post on here with the G5 UHF versions, I know their are a few of you. I haven't seen anyone post with the UHF B version (or A). Thanks for the info

troymail

Silent Key
Saw your post yesterday and shortly after, I saw a conventional analog county fire dispatch (453.9?) for the area I was in at the time. Added it to my programming and the next alert sounded great - solid reception.... but later I drove away and the reception was very scratchy. Not the consistent reception I've come to see and expect from most P25 trunk systems.

From what I've seen, the Gx is excellent for P25 simulcast (most of my experiences have been on 700/800) but not so good on non-simulcast. Of course, everything depends on the system, frequency band, and your location at any given time - lots and lots of variables.

Haley

Saw your post yesterday and shortly after, I saw a conventional analog county fire dispatch (453.9?) for the area I was in at the time. Added it to my programming and the next alert sounded great - solid reception.... but later I drove away and the reception was very scratchy. Not the consistent reception I've come to see and expect from most P25 trunk systems.

From what I've seen, the Gx is excellent for P25 simulcast (most of my experiences have been on 700/800) but not so good on non-simulcast. Of course, everything depends on the system, frequency band, and your location at any given time - lots and lots of variables.

Thanks for the input Troymail, couldn’t remember if you had a UHF model or not, I knew you had a G5 though. I agree there are so many variables. I have so many different systems in my area, I would like to pick up a G5 UHF model also at some point. They just have such a great sound. I can sit in my house and hit a tower 45 miles away , with only 1-2 bars and it never misses anything. The 396xt will get about 60-70 percent at the distance, and the 436 maybe 30 percent. Just amazes me at how good the G4/G5 series is.

mdsxfire

EDBM
i have the uhf 450-5xx model, works great for the systems i primarily monitor, biggest difference in range i notice between that and the 700 band is when i’m indoors especially in a store environment. overall i am still extremely impressed with my G5 over a month later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haley

It's been a few months, just wondering if anyone else had purchased one of the G5 UHF A, or B models? And if those that responded before had any other good or bad things to add.

I am interested in the A or B , because when I travel I do have the chance to listen to some Federal-Military P25 systems. And at home I am very close to a Ground Entry Point for E-6B, and E4B planes. Mostly just data streams, but then I know they are close by. It would just be nice to have another Unication product. Curious if anyone monitors any P25 bases or Federal facilities with the Unication's.

mdsxfire

EDBM
It's been a few months, just wondering if anyone else had purchased one of the G5 UHF A, or B models? And if those that responded before had any other good or bad things to add.

I am interested in the A or B , because when I travel I do have the chance to listen to some Federal-Military P25 systems. And at home I am very close to a Ground Entry Point for E-6B, and E4B planes. Mostly just data streams, but then I know they are close by. It would just be nice to have another Unication product. Curious if anyone monitors any P25 bases or Federal facilities with the Unication's.

Have had mine since April and still love it. Pulls in p25p2 simulcast systems amazing, sounds great easy to carry, nothing different to report from my last reply in may.

Haley

i have the uhf 450-5xx model, works great for the systems i primarily monitor, biggest difference in range i notice between that and the 700 band is when i’m indoors especially in a store environment. overall i am still extremely impressed with my G5 over a month later.

I agree with you for sure, for 700/800 monitoring , nothing I own even comes close. As I said above though, I am pretty impressed with the VHF considering the internal antenna. I listen to several neighboring counties. Single P25 (P1-P2 both), P25 VHF trunked systems, and VHF analog. Last year in Ft. Myers , Florida, I listened to the USCG everyday (P25 VHF), and a few other Federal agencies. My home system ,is a large multi- county 700/800 P1 and P2 system. As I sit here typing (with 2 bars) , I am hitting a tower that is 40 miles away (700/800). I have been seriously re-evaluating my radios, and I am considering getting another G5 model (maybe 2).

jharr465

Premium Subscriber

I am located in NW Florida and am surrounded by Military UHF P25 I and II systems. I have no trouble pulling in Eglin AFB system from 25 - 30 miles away with my G5. I get full, clear decoding with only 1 bar and don't miss a thing. Also other bases and Naval Air Stations in the area if they're not encrypted come from 30 - 40 miles out. The G5 is a fanastic radio. I'm considering buying one in the higher UHF range for public service.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have the G5 in UHF-H 7/800 and have monitored numerous P25 trunked systems in NJ including Morris, Somerset, Wayne, Bayonne and Jersey City. Its a little work horse. I will tell you that within County I have ZERO issues with signal and deciding. Outside the County or the City systems is a little less on UHF vs 7/800 due to the UHF using an internal antenna. 7/800 it’s literally on par with my APX with a OEM stubby.

Haley

I am located in NW Florida and am surrounded by Military UHF P25 I and II systems. I have no trouble pulling in Eglin AFB system from 25 - 30 miles away with my G5. I get full, clear decoding with only 1 bar and don't miss a thing. Also other bases and Naval Air Stations in the area if they're not encrypted come from 30 - 40 miles out. The G5 is a fanastic radio. I'm considering buying one in the higher UHF range for public service.

That is good to know! I have been to Destin , and used several other radios in the past to monitor Eglin AFB. LOTS to listen to in that area. I really like the size and solid construction of the Unications models also. You are one of the few I have seen post using a G5 to monitor a military base. Thanks

Haley

I have the G5 in UHF-H 7/800 and have monitored numerous P25 trunked systems in NJ including Morris, Somerset, Wayne, Bayonne and Jersey City. Its a little work horse. I will tell you that within County I have ZERO issues with signal and deciding. Outside the County or the City systems is a little less on UHF vs 7/800 due to the UHF using an internal antenna. 7/800 it’s literally on par with my APX with a OEM stubby.

I could go on and on for hours about the fantastic reception of these pagers/radios. Just rock solid. Your experience mirrors mine. 7/800 nothing touches it.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
It's been 5 days with my G5. It is a rock star performer and does not disappoint. I am line of site to several P25 Phase II systems. Side by side to the 536 and 436 is night and day. 100 percent decode G5 and x36's are 35 percent decode. Not close. Of course there is room for feature improvements but as the vocoder goes, its a 10 plus.

mitbr

It's been 5 days with my G5. It is a rock star performer and does not disappoint. I am line of site to several P25 Phase II systems. Side by side to the 536 and 436 is night and day. 100 percent decode G5 and x36's are 35 percent decode. Not close. Of course there is room for feature improvements but as the vocoder goes, its a 10 plus.
Welcome to listening on a professional receiver!! I was amazed as well .My local phase 2 system in Clearwater is loud and clear With my 536hp on a 34 element yagi aimed at the site its distorted.Wait till you try it in a car get ready to be amazed!
Tim:D

Status
Not open for further replies.