• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 UHF scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
When I am on the Analog UHF bank in my G5, can I put in a scan list in it somehow, or am I limited to just one channel in each bank?

A little confused with the programming here

troymail

Silent Key
Not certain I understand the question but --

I've programmed several 8TAC (800 Mhz) conventional channels. Each channel is programmed in Monitor Mode and assigned to a switch position. Once these are in place, you can then create a "Scan List" (Normal Scan) in a different switch position for any/all of those individual channels.That is - in order to create a scanlist list, each item (to my knowledge) needs to be programmed in Monitor Mode (or Selective Call) first.

If I misunderstood, please advise.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G5 UHF scan? ... yes.

IF it's like the G5 VHF version you make your list of frequencies in #2 in the PPS under the Conventional or UHF frequency setting at the top. You go through steps 3 and 4 and in step #5 YOU add your trunked Talkgroups AND UHF to the ZONE knob positions. After you're done with the Trunked Talkgroups you need to make ONE of those square a CONTROL box for the other *up to 16 knob positions where you have the UHF freqs stored. *light blue box* in ConvZone #3. That box controls ALL of the CSQ boxes with ONE frequency you see in the yellow boxes. Each of those freqs are in MONITOR mode. ONE for each knob position in your ZONES. *mine say CSQ in the photo. OK?... now what? I made the 3rd Zone, FIRST knob as my control for all the Conventional frequencies. Use NORMAL scan or Priority scan to ADD the KNOB positions to your control. The instructions say, use NORMAL or Priority scan to scan up 16 knob positions. It's like ONE controls the other 16 UHF/VHF set to monitor mode. With each new frequency you add, you have to go back to the CONTROL box and add that new knob position so it can be scanned like a list. One thing, when you program the pager and expect to see it scanning the UHF list? you have to make sure you click to the CONTROL knob to that UHF/VHF list so it will work.
It took me awhile to figure it out but I scan 19 or 20 VHF knob positions now for one of my counties. I put that control box in the first Knob position because it's easier to change to it that way when you change zones ON the pager itself. If anyone has an easier way to add ALL 16 frequencies or more to ONE knob position? I haven't heard it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear...

I have 5 conventional UHF (452... MHz) frequencies I want to scan. How can I have the G5 scan those, they are simple analog frequencies.

I do appreciate the responses

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Other things I have found. YOU should avoid "Priority" settings in a knob position with a LOT of talkgroups. It will drive you crazy. Better off making separate knobs for different things instead of lumping everything into one giant BUSY knob. The processor in these things is slower when you add more and more stuff to it. Instead of having 2000 talkgroups or stuff LOADED on board? I make a separate code plug profile per COUNTY that I know I'm going to travel to. I simply program that in before I leave. The radio is much faster being less loaded. When trying to change ZONES manually in the field? good luck. I still don't know how I get it to move. I get it to move but the screen is slow. You have to wait for it after each change then select or save it. Overall? this thing is great. It's everything that they said it would be and more. Even though I prefer the quality of the digital sound of the Whistler WS1080 more? ... I use this most the day. Every scanner should be like this pager.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear...

I have 5 conventional UHF (452... MHz) frequencies I want to scan. How can I have the G5 scan those, they are simple analog frequencies.

I do appreciate the responses

1. Add each frequency to your profile in PPS #2
2. Configure each of those frequencies in a switch position in PPS #5 (Monitor Mode/CSQ)
3. In a separate switch position in PPS #5, select Receiver Mode "Normal Scan" and add the channels configured in step 2.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for being concise troymail. ;0)
I use ONE Square to control 22 CSQ (vhf frequencies) and scan those from knob position ONE in Zone #3 ConvZone. It has pretty good reception with that internal antenna. I get a strong signal from a country away.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Troymail! That did it!

I have one P25 system I can enter into my G5 under a G4 codeplug, but when I enter the same P25 system under the G5 codeplug, it goes into and stays in "out of range". (I have a few other systems that work just fine) It is the Macon/Bibb co P25 system (Phase 1) (until late October, when it goes to Phase 2)

Anway, any ideas?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the time when it's out of range we need to check the Trunk System ID and SITE numbers. Same for Protocol on TAB 3 where you have add P25 protocol in order to hear things. Of course it COULD actually be out of range. You could always check to see in the maps on Radio Ref for your SITE range to see if you're inside the big coverage ring of that site.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I was in such a hurry to listen I forgot to add the correct SITE numbers listed on RRef on my first attempt.

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks, Troymail! That did it!

I have one P25 system I can enter into my G5 under a G4 codeplug, but when I enter the same P25 system under the G5 codeplug, it goes into and stays in "out of range". (I have a few other systems that work just fine) It is the Macon/Bibb co P25 system (Phase 1) (until late October, when it goes to Phase 2)

Anway, any ideas?

JohnnyDollar2 hit the probable reasons for out of range.

Note: the data in RRDB can't be considered 100% accurate. It could have been at one time but changed and no one submitted updates.

Are you close enough to receive it?
Did you add the proper WACN, SYSID, RFSS, and site values? Note: if you're not sure of these values, you can use the wildcard settings.
Did you enter those values properly (i.e. HEXIDECIMAL values vs. DECIMAL)?
Have you verified that the control channel frequency is active?
Have you entered all of the control channel frequencies (or at least the active one)?

All of these - to include some other less likely issues - can result in out of range messages.

elrod

Hi Guys,
I also am a little confused on programming my G5 for conventional analog channels.
After a little stumbelling I have successfully programed a couple of P25 trunk systems.
Now I am trying to program about 15 conventional analog channels for the surrounding area fire depts.
My problem is I enter all the freqs. in the conv. list in step2,move to step 3 and it asks for protocol type.
The choices are no setting which gives an error to set a protocol, and a few having to do with tones, and P25 conv. and P25 trunking. I am not looking to do tone alerts or anything else but scan these analog conv freqs. If I put in 2 tone in step 3 to move on to step 4 it then asks for tones. If, and when I get to step 5 I choose normal scan and I don't see any freqs. listed to add. I have read the previous posts but still not getting it. I would have thought analog conv. would be the easiest to program and sure it is, but some guidance from you G5 owners would be appreciated. That and some better explaining of the features and how to program this great radio on Unication's part would certainly help. I have read the user guide in the software, watched the programming webinair, and read the pop up descriptions in the software but still not getting it. Thanks for any replies.

Chuck

troymail

Silent Key
Hi Guys,
I also am a little confused on programming my G5 for conventional analog channels.
After a little stumbelling I have successfully programed a couple of P25 trunk systems.
Now I am trying to program about 15 conventional analog channels for the surrounding area fire depts.
My problem is I enter all the freqs. in the conv. list in step2,move to step 3 and it asks for protocol type.
The choices are no setting which gives an error to set a protocol, and a few having to do with tones, and P25 conv. and P25 trunking. I am not looking to do tone alerts or anything else but scan these analog conv freqs. If I put in 2 tone in step 3 to move on to step 4 it then asks for tones. If, and when I get to step 5 I choose normal scan and I don't see any freqs. listed to add. I have read the previous posts but still not getting it. I would have thought analog conv. would be the easiest to program and sure it is, but some guidance from you G5 owners would be appreciated. That and some better explaining of the features and how to program this great radio on Unication's part would certainly help. I have read the user guide in the software, watched the programming webinair, and read the pop up descriptions in the software but still not getting it. Thanks for any replies.

Chuck

For analog, you should be able to simply enter your frequencies in Step 2 and then skip directly to Step 5 and create a zone/knob position for those frequencies using "Monitor Mode" as the option.

I create a knob position for each frequency (analog or otherwise) and then if I want to scan a group of these at the same time, I create another knob position that I set to "Normal Scan" and then place the frequencies of interest into that scanlist.

KN4C

IF it's like the G5 VHF version you make your list of frequencies in #2 in the PPS under the Conventional or UHF frequency setting at the top. You go through steps 3 and 4 and in step #5 YOU add your trunked Talkgroups AND UHF to the ZONE knob positions. After you're done with the Trunked Talkgroups you need to make ONE of those square a CONTROL box for the other *up to 16 knob positions where you have the UHF freqs stored. *light blue box* in ConvZone #3. That box controls ALL of the CSQ boxes with ONE frequency you see in the yellow boxes. Each of those freqs are in MONITOR mode. ONE for each knob position in your ZONES. *mine say CSQ in the photo. OK?... now what? I made the 3rd Zone, FIRST knob as my control for all the Conventional frequencies. Use NORMAL scan or Priority scan to ADD the KNOB positions to your control. The instructions say, use NORMAL or Priority scan to scan up 16 knob positions. It's like ONE controls the other 16 UHF/VHF set to monitor mode. With each new frequency you add, you have to go back to the CONTROL box and add that new knob position so it can be scanned like a list. One thing, when you program the pager and expect to see it scanning the UHF list? you have to make sure you click to the CONTROL knob to that UHF/VHF list so it will work.
It took me awhile to figure it out but I scan 19 or 20 VHF knob positions now for one of my counties. I put that control box in the first Knob position because it's easier to change to it that way when you change zones ON the pager itself. If anyone has an easier way to add ALL 16 frequencies or more to ONE knob position? I haven't heard it yet.

Should I use Protocol CSQ for a CTCSS?

Thanks for any info.

BTW, nice setup you have. Iv'e setup my conventional frequencies like yours.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G5 UHF Scan?

I just happened to be awake. YOU could use either. I've used CSQ only and CTCSS. It's just that using CSQ you will get ALL traffic for a frequency if there are several agencies in your area sharing the frequency. But the more the merrier I say. I'm using just CSQ for VHF right now. The thing is, I heard Unication David mention something about revamping the program software for the upcoming changes (Phase II and other things) So we might end up having to relearn an all new setup for the PPS. I saw in the Questions* for the Unication website they were thinking of having an AUTO-SCAN firmware update instead of limiting us to one knob at a time. Who knows? I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. Great range on the G5 compared to my "unnamed" new scanner.

KN4C

Thanks for quick reply. Iv'e just finished adding 4 agencies. I had a CTCSS for each so I selected CSQ and entered a CTCSS for each. I added all 4 to a new scan list, like you have pictured. Now just waiting to hear something. I'm going strickly be RRDB, so I don't know if I have the correct CTCSS, but out of 4, 1 should work. Iv'e been trying receive a page alert for a week. It looks like I was going about it the wrong way.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Sure thing. I can't see straight. Time to go to bed and recharge my G5 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.