• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 VHF Conventional Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I was finally able to get my hands on a G5. Trying to program this beast has been quite the challenge. P25 trunked stuff is pretty straight forward, however, the conventional VHF programming not so much.

Two questions with regards to the analog conventional frequencies:

1) When attempting to set up a knob position as a "scan list" for everyday monitoring (similar to a scanner), would I select "Normal Scan", "Silent Scan", or "Priority Scan"? The three options presented are a bit confusing. All I want to do is set up one knob that scans 4 or 5 different frequencies and monitor them in a particular order (similar to what the G4 does with trunked talkgroups).

2) As far as automatic two-tone decoding goes, does the G5 even have that capability? For instance, if I don't know what the "A-tone" or "B-Tone" are would the G5 be able to tell me that information?

Hope that all makes sense...

Edit: Found the G5 programming white papers on the Unication Website, so a majority of my questions have been answered. Here's the link in case anyone else finds themselves in a jam: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m1ip2rlgd0fkt2/Unication G5 White Papers 2016.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Use normal scan. Silent scan is used to monitor for tones silently on multiple channels. I have not used priority scan, but it shows: Selects a priority channel from the Scan List. When the pager is actively scanning a Scan List, 50% of the scans are targeted at the Priority Channel.

The pager cannot display / decode unknown tones.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Use normal scan. Silent scan is used to monitor for tones silently on multiple channels. I have not used priority scan, but it shows: Selects a priority channel from the Scan List. When the pager is actively scanning a Scan List, 50% of the scans are targeted at the Priority Channel.

The pager cannot display / decode unknown tones.

Appreciate the info. Perhaps I'll play around with the priority scan at some point, but for now it will be programmed in normal mode.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious to learn how you've programmed conventional channels -- I've got several including P25 programmed but I'm really looking for a simpler way to do so....

Here's what I've done personally:

Navigate to Step #2 in the PPS software. I add all conventional frequencies that are to be programmed.

From there, I add all desired trunked talkgroups in Step 4.

Last (in step 5) I set up the knob positions.

Based on the agencies in my area, I've mixed both trunked talkgroups and conventional frequencies into certain zones. For example: under Zone 71, I've put the analog conventional fire paging frequency in knob position 1. Subsequent knob positions are trunked groups which carry ops, fire tac, etc. All positions that were programmed with VHF conventional frequencies use "Monitor Mode". CTCSS/DCS options are also available if you select the "Monitor Mode". Alert Mode is always selected as "silent" (as a matter of personal preference).

As far as the scan feature goes, I typically set that up under knob position 8 using normal scan. Everything programmed in positions 1-7 gets placed in the list.

My advice: play around with the programming for a bit. Figure out what works best for your programming needs and go with that when it comes time to build out your zones.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Here's what I've done personally:

Navigate to Step #2 in the PPS software. I add all conventional frequencies that are to be programmed.

From there, I add all desired trunked talkgroups in Step 4.

Last (in step 5) I set up the knob positions.

Based on the agencies in my area, I've mixed both trunked talkgroups and conventional frequencies into certain zones. For example: under Zone 71, I've put the analog conventional fire paging frequency in knob position 1. Subsequent knob positions are trunked groups which carry ops, fire tac, etc. All positions that were programmed with VHF conventional frequencies use "Monitor Mode". CTCSS/DCS options are also available if you select the "Monitor Mode". Alert Mode is always selected as "silent" (as a matter of personal preference).

As far as the scan feature goes, I typically set that up under knob position 8 using normal scan. Everything programmed in positions 1-7 gets placed in the list.

My advice: play around with the programming for a bit. Figure out what works best for your programming needs and go with that when it comes time to build out your zones.

Thanks for the response -- yes, my recommendations to everyone is always to play and experiment as well.... I started even before I got my G4 and am still finding new things a month after receiving it.

I may have in my head mixed some of your original post words that lead to my post/question. More specifically, I am looking for input from others who have programmed P25 conventional channels. For my programming, it seems I have to

(a) add the conventional frequenc(ies) in Step 2
(b) create (one time) a P25 Conventional Protocol (in Step 3)
(c) add at least one conventional P25 talkgroup of "1" (in Step 4),
(d) create a zone/knob position set to "Monitor Mode" for each P25 conventional frequency (in Step 5)
(e) create a second zone/knob position to P25 conventional scan over one or more of the frequencies programmed above (also in Step 5)

Seems like we should not need this many steps... and I just haven't found it yet.

Sometimes the (easier) solution is there and you just can't see it...still looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.