• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 VHF questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I have a lot of questions, but will keep it simple (I am just a scanner guy---sarcasm). But after watching videos, and reading everything I can on the G5 VHF/700/800 radios/pagers I am about to order one.

1. IF I were to use one for Federal monitoring while traveling, by programming ahead of time , common VHF P25 conventional freq. is this possible? Would the VHF model make more sense than one of the UHF models for that purpose? Just seems to me VHF has a lot more users (I do have some local counties also that use P25 VHF.)

2. Am I correct in my understanding, that again if traveling, I would have to have a way to load or program each system, (only able to monitor one at time----correct?)?

3.IF I buy one now, am I understanding the phase 2 (if and when released) will simply be a paid upgrade? Hardware is in the unit, just not enabled. So a software update??

My local systems are all phase 2 able-----but mostly phase 1.

I am new to the Unication pagers/radios, but have been watching in the background for quite some time, just getting a little tired of several scanners, that just are not cutting it. I do realize that the G5 is a pager, NOT a scanner, and has it's own limitations if being used that way.

Thank you for any help, Mike

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have a lot of questions
#1 Yes. The VHF or UHF choice is what makes sense for you. It sounds like VHF in your case.

#2 Yes. You have to program them manually...it's not a RRDB import.But you can program them ahead of time. My G5 has systems from outside the area for when I travel. They are programmed into a zone further down the list. My first zone of 8 knob positions is actually 3 different local systems and 2 conventional groups. One of those trunked systems appears in several knob positions, each with a different list of talk groups.

#3 That is what we believe to be the case. We'll know for sure when it's available :)

troymail

Silent Key
Will answer what I can based on reading and my playing with a G4 and the programming software....

I have a lot of questions, but will keep it simple (I am just a scanner guy---sarcasm). But after watching videos, and reading everything I can on the G5 VHF/700/800 radios/pagers I am about to order one.

1. IF I were to use one for Federal monitoring while traveling, by programming ahead of time , common VHF P25 conventional freq. is this possible? Would the VHF model make more sense than one of the UHF models for that purpose? Just seems to me VHF has a lot more users (I do have some local counties also that use P25 VHF.)
Since it's not an all band scanner, you'll have to decide which model (bands) you want more than others. Some folks have bought multiple units to cover different bands. I got a G4 and then started programming some (distant unlikely to be monitored by me) systems and then realized they are UHF -- not a big loss for me but it did identify a slight limitation.
2. Am I correct in my understanding, that again if traveling, I would have to have a way to load or program each system, (only able to monitor one at time----correct?)?
I've programmed many, many, many systems into my configuration and programming to the radio. I can travel and just switch to a different zone to hear other non day-to-day (travel time/road trip) systems I've programmed.
3.IF I buy one now, am I understanding the phase 2 (if and when released) will simply be a paid upgrade? Hardware is in the unit, just not enabled. So a software update??
We've been told it will be a simple firmware update (but you'll have to pay for it from what I'm hearing).
My local systems are all phase 2 able-----but mostly phase 1.

I am new to the Unication pagers/radios, but have been watching in the background for quite some time, just getting a little tired of several scanners, that just are not cutting it. I do realize that the G5 is a pager, NOT a scanner, and has it's own limitations if being used that way.

Thank you for any help, Mike

Haley

Thank you both for the very helpful answers! You put to rest any reservations I had. Now to get it ordered, thanks again Mike

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Quick question before putting this thread to rest, as I am pretty much in the same situation and just ordered a G5 myself. Before it's arrival, I've downloaded the PPS software and started planning out the knobs and zones. I'm assuming when I get it I will need to apply the latest firmware, is the update done within the PPS software or do I use that executable in the other zipped download? I didn't really see any details in the other zip file and launching that executable didn't really tell me much, but I'm assuming obviously it's because I don't have the unit connected yet.

Sorry if the process is already laid out in another thread, I did some searching but was unable to find firmware update procedures other than the steps to email and obtain the download links.

troymail

Silent Key
My G4 came with the current firmware (I think it was release late last year). You may not need to update it - although I too at some point need to understand that process (come on Phase 21)

scan18

Premium Subscriber
You're right, I think it was from Oct 2016 so it may already have that installed. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.