• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 w/ UHF C - Amplified charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

My G5 and amplified charger arrived today from Rays. Shoutout to Ray's for his stellar customer service! Super fast shipping and great communications BTW.

Anyways, I tested both the G5 and my old G4 in the amplified charger and it works flawless on my states DTRS. Perfect clarity in sound. Set the G5 to a local P25 400mhz federal trunked system and the signal bars were full and heard the TG's just fine. I then placed the G5 in the amplified charger and the signal went from all bars to zero out of range. Stock antenna is installed on the amplified charger and everything seems to be powered up just fine.

Anyone else experience this and if so are there any troubleshooting solutions you recommend?

Edit to add: Im on the most current public release version of the PPS and firmware.

David628

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out. The (my specific) little new stock collapsable BNC antenna that comes with the new amplified charger is defective. I connected a Remtronix and a stock Uniden scanner BNC antenna to it and its working perfectly on the UHF C band system. Guess that included BNC antenna is just trash.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I have trouble with my Amplified charger also. I notified Unication back in December, and they said they know about the problem it causes and they are working on the problem. I have heard absolutely nothing back. The charger causes a high noise floor on certain segments of the UHF band. Its not a specific problem to my particular unit, it is with all of them. Other people complained about the same thing. Here is the thread I started back in December 2020.
One of my posts from there:

"Just curious how you made out with charger #3.
Upon further testing and now that I have had my unit for a couple of weeks, I am becoming more familiar with its capabilities, and I have come to the following conclusion. The radio ( I like calling it a radio as I don't use any of the pager features ) is NOT deaf above 483 Mhz. as I originally had thought. I have programmed in several freqs. in the T band ( 470-512 ) and just sitting on my deck outside, I am able to receive FDNY and NYC EMS ect.. in that range. My other UHF commercial portables receive them slightly better, but you would have to expect this being the G5 just has an internal antenna for the extra band. Also, I actually CAN hear the NYC DOITT P25 UHF system also just sitting on my deck outside. The control channel is presently 483.24375. I am 60 miles from NYC, albeit in a great high location feet from the Long Island Sound. My point is this. When I use the Amplified Charger, I can now say for sure it is the cause of the high noise floor in that frequency range. The noise floor is exceeding the input signal from my Yagi that is plugged into the back of the amplifier. Its too bad I cannot use the outside antenna feature on the amplifier. I hope Unication can fix this problem, unless it is just that I have a bad amplifier? I am going to post this on the Facebook forum also to see if I can get a response from Unication."

David628

Premium Subscriber
Well I guess I spoke to soon. Today after a few hours of testing the G5 on the lower end of UHF C (P25 trunked system within 400-420Mhz) in the amplified charger its still doing what I indicated in post #1 above. Out of the charger the G5 is working flawlessly on both 700/800 and UHF C. In the amplified charger the G5 is working flawlessly on the 700-800 band but on UHF C in the Amplified charger the G5 keeps reverting to zero reception bars and alerts to out of range. It's not the antenna.

AzTac

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I place my old G4 (running V1.10) in the amplified charger and it works flawlessly. I place my new G4 (running V1.31) in the same amplified charger and it loses all bars and gives an "out of range" indication. It does this on all systems/talkgroups. I spoke to Ray at his eponymous business and he indicated Unication is aware of it and referred me to them. I heard nothing back from Unication.

I love these receivers, but it does seem like Unication goes through a flurry of communication and then crickets for extended periods of time. We're currently experiencing a cricket infestation...

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I'm experiencing a similar problem. I place my old G4 (running V1.10) in the amplified charger and it works flawlessly. I place my new G4 (running V1.31) in the same amplified charger and it loses all bars and gives an "out of range" indication. It does this on all systems/talkgroups. I spoke to Ray at his eponymous business and he indicated Unication is aware of it and referred me to them. I heard nothing back from Unication.

I love these receivers, but it does seem like Unication goes through a flurry of communication and then crickets for extended periods of time. We're currently experiencing a cricket infestation...
Same here with the crickets. They convinced me to hold onto mine and don't return it because they were working on the problem. That was 3 months ago (and more some) and still nothing. Still waiting forever for a firmware update that allows scanning, but I guess that's another story. Not complaining, just hoping for an answer one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.