• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 zone menu unavailable during receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to access the zone or menu system while the G5 is actively receiving? I am finding it hard to work with this radio because I am unable to change zones because it is always receiving. I have actually had to revert to removing the antenna just to be able to change zones. :(

Paul

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I have not but I simply rotate the knob to a zone position that has less activity, select the new zone THEN move channel selector Back to the number. Happens quickly once you get the hang of it.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I dedicate one knob in each zone specifically for menu access and playback and record lock. When I need to change zones quickly, or replay a transmission I just rotate to the last knob position in whatever zone I'm in. You loose a knob, but it makes life WAY easier and allows you to react quickly. Also if you use this method, current live traffic wont interrupt your replays.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Uggy...yeah, I may have to reserve like ch8 in each zone for zone changing. I just get so confused looking at the programming software I wasn't sure if there was a way to get it to work while receiving.

Paul

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
As others have pointed out. Using this as a scanner means you need to pre plan how you want to program this thing.
I learned this early on and each zone (usually knob 4 or 5) is set to a rarely used TG or group of talk groups just for this reason.
With proper programming and careful thought the G4 or G5 is a great tool for scanner people.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Unscrewing the antenna is another technique. Doesn't always work - sometimes it still receives some signal. But often it does work.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Have you hit the "back" button while receiving? I use that to get the soft keys back to default, but it can be a challenge to press them, before another transmission starts.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Remember these are pagers used for emergency services not scanners. I believe that design is so personnel don't miss an important life and death page while changing settings.

The audio still comes through, the display just does not show the TG name & RID. (On MPSCS, I presume the behavior would be same on any P25 trunked system.)

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Remember these are pagers used for emergency services not scanners. I believe that design is so personnel don't miss an important life and death page while changing settings.
At least the knob position can be changed without waiting for the end of a transmission. For now, anyway. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.