G5RV Wire Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3SKU

Premium Subscriber
Hi i was just curious about something,will my G5RV antenna work for a scanner? I don't have my HF Radio cause i had to pay some important bills but i had a idea to use the antenna as a scanner antenna. Just wondering if it could work.

I got it from here about a year or 2 ago;

G5RV Antenna

One other thing,im not allowed to have any Antennas outside or on the roof cause im in a Apartment,The landlord said no. :(

Thank you in advance for help.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would work, but not very well.

If you live in an apartment you're probably going to be limited to putting a mag mount on a ferrous surface and moving it about for the 'sweet spot' (and it's possible that there will be more than one). Do you have an attic you can access? If it's big enough you might be able to sneak a discone up there...

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

If you live in an apartment you're probably going to be limited to putting a mag mount on a ferrous surface and moving it about for the 'sweet spot' (and it's possible that there will be more than one). Do you have an attic you can access? If it's big enough you might be able to sneak a discone up there...

Mike

KB3SKU

Premium Subscriber

Mike

No attic :(

KB3SKU

Premium Subscriber
So not worth trying? Was thinking about using it for aircraft,its weird there is a lot of traffic but im not picking anything up with the stock antenna.

A lot of the traffic i see like Jets,Cessna's and Helicopters are really low so where ever there going cant be that far away.

Also im trying to listen to these too;

Military Comms Monitoring. HF VHF UHF

And

CAP Air Emergency Frequency 121.5000 MHz - I do hear stuff on this but i can hardly hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.