G8/G20 Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevMuskoka

The RCMP's new system has a tower close to the location, so I could see those communications being encrypted.

There isn't anything mentioned about "who" will be using this new system, but my guess would be "everything else" and not necessarily communications that need to be encrypted.

That's just an assumption, of course.

Jammin_Jay

Keep an eye on any new control channels that may pop-up for the RCMP. P25 voice comms will be encrypted. But the control channel for the system may be found.

Who knows, maybe somebody involved in the security of the G8/G20 with regards to radio comms security is reading this thread on RR. For security purposes is not allowed to comment. So u want see anything in the articles from the media about not encryption, or yes it is encrypted.

We have to rely on members on RR here to perhaps come across the system and monitor it for possible CC;s voice comms, encryption yes/no

Last edited:

newtoscanning

There isn't anything mentioned about "who" will be using this new system, but my guess would be "everything else" and not necessarily communications that need to be encrypted.

I agree, and if you read the bid it wasn't put out by RCMP but Public works, there are bids out by RCMP for certain services. I can't see RCMP using a rented/leased system for close protection.

This tender is probably for logistical support, moving vehciles, food, volunteers/staff, security (actual security not police), media, and help as an interopibility solution.

It also reads in the bid that the agency has to have already confirmed with Industry Canada that there is spectrum available. If the system was for the RCMP then they would just use the frequency alloted for the RCMP (I think it's 30 channels nation wide).

KevMuskoka

Huntsville Fire Department will be using a system that will be used by others, and then they will revert back to their old conventional system.

So, they will be one of the users - I'm going to assume.

RCMP tower is already up and running.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keep an eye on any new control channels that may pop-up for the RCMP. P25 voice comms will be encrypted. But the control channel for the system may be found.

The control channel has already been found but no reports of voice traffic yet.

pathalogical

ENC or not, it should be a very busy listening weekend for us. Maybe we can use this thread to point out other events that coincide with the G20...

World Cup Soccer will be in full swing, so that will bring out all the hooligans !

Toronto Blue Jays, I'm not a baseball fan, but according to their schedule, they are at home the whole weekend, so that will bring thousands of fans right next door to the MTCC.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've heard rumours that a large Moto TRBO trunking system will be temporarily installed in the Huntsville area for support and logistics.

Not sure of any other information other then that.

Status
Not open for further replies.