GA Fleettalk help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
I'm receiving what sounds like a NXDN trunked control channel on 451.9625. My BCD325 indicates a RAN 19. In my FCC search I Found a GA Fleettalk site in Towns County that is not in the RR database.

I entered the 4 frequencies from site location 1 into ProScan as a NXDN trunked system. I entered a RAN of 19 for all frequencies.
when I stop my scan of this system on the 451.9625 the BCD325 displays SID000015: S0019. When you check the GA Fleettalk record on RR you can see that site 019 is not entered.

Georgia Fleet Talk (NXDN) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

So after all that I get no traffic on this system... UGHHH! thought I had a new find.
Here is my dumb question: Could a site be in use by Gunby Communications but have no users of talkgrougs?

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I have actually been monitoring this system quite heavily for the past year or so since my county had mentioned at one point that they are looking to possibly move our public safety comms to the system in the future. Something that I've noticed with the Gunby sites is that they don't have a ton of traffic. Mostly local gas companies, a couple of moving/trucking companies, and Lincoln Co, Ga schools on the Currahee and Ila sites which I usually monitor. I monitor with my BCD436HP and it will not pass audio on talkgroups that aren't programmed into it, which may be why you aren't hearing anything. I usually use DSD+ on this system since most talkgroups and sites aren't entered into the database. I've submitted several but others are quite difficult to identify. Something else to keep in mind is some scanners require LCN's to be entered to trunk track while others don't. Uniden's usually have an LCN finder which may help if you look for the FCC license for the site and enter the frequencies into the site with the programming software. If you find anything new, please submit to the database as this will help others who may want to monitor the system but can't figure it out. If you're in range of the Clermont site, I'd recommend programming it in and seeing if you're getting audio as it is usually very busy.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
I have actually been monitoring this system quite heavily for the past year or so since my county had mentioned at one point that they are looking to possibly move our public safety comms to the system in the future. Something that I've noticed with the Gunby sites is that they don't have a ton of traffic. Mostly local gas companies, a couple of moving/trucking companies, and Lincoln Co, Ga schools on the Currahee and Ila sites which I usually monitor. I monitor with my BCD436HP and it will not pass audio on talkgroups that aren't programmed into it, which may be why you aren't hearing anything. I usually use DSD+ on this system since most talkgroups and sites aren't entered into the database. I've submitted several but others are quite difficult to identify. Something else to keep in mind is some scanners require LCN's to be entered to trunk track while others don't. Uniden's usually have an LCN finder which may help if you look for the FCC license for the site and enter the frequencies into the site with the programming software. If you find anything new, please submit to the database as this will help others who may want to monitor the system but can't figure it out. If you're in range of the Clermont site, I'd recommend programming it in and seeing if you're getting audio as it is usually very busy.
Thank you @apx7000xe for your reply. Looks like I have a couple of problems with monitoring this site. My BCD325P2 does not have the LCN finder & I have no talk groups programmed in either. I will program the Clermont site in and drive down closer to White county and try that sometime. Have a good day!

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying this system again. I need someone in the Towns county GA listening area that can determine the LCN for this system.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying this system again. I need someone in the Towns county GA listening area that can determine the LCN for this system.
Which site(s) are you trying to monitor? The database lists sites in Rabun and White counties with LCNs specified.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
The site is not listed in RRDB.

I found this license on FCC site. When I stop my scanner on what sounds like a NXDN control channel it indicates a system number & site number. Also the RAN code is displayed. I believe the LCN's for each frequency on the site are needed to monitor the site. My scanner does not have the LCN finder.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber

I found this license on FCC site.
Here are my best guesses based on the license and the configuration of other sites on the system:

LCN FREQUENCY
55 451.21250
175 451.96250
225 452.27500
343 453.01250

These LCNs assume that your site adheres to the apparent channel numbering standard for this system.

When I stop my scanner on what sounds like a NXDN control channel it indicates a system number & site number. Also the RAN code is displayed.
That would be your control channel.

I believe the LCN's for each frequency on the site are needed to monitor the site. My scanner does not have the LCN finder.
Correct.

Hope this helps!

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
Here are my best guesses based on the license and the configuration of other sites on the system:

LCN FREQUENCY
55 451.21250
175 451.96250
225 452.27500
343 453.01250

These LCNs assume that your site adheres to the apparent channel numbering standard for this system.

That would be your control channel.

Correct.

Hope this helps!
I have been monitoring this site for some time with no traffic.
Could someone verify the LCN's quoted above?

shajoe44

Can someone confirm the Lincoln County site CC. The one listed in RR Database shows as channel 350, 461.075 When I am monitoring the North Augusta site it shows Lincoln County as a neighboring site but it is showing channel 988 as CC. Thanks

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I have been monitoring this site for some time with no traffic.
Could someone verify the LCN's quoted above?
I have never programmed a NXDN trunking system into a radio so I don't know if they use a bandplan like P25 does but it almost seems as if the Gunby sites have a random bandplan. I have played around with the math and can't find any correlation between LCNs of other sites. SC Fleettalk is another story, they all correlate. I personally think for database purposes here at RR that at least in the Georgia system that these systems should be divided up by the dealer that owns the sites vs the same page for all sites since every dealer seems to do their own thing. For example you will see the Gunby users only on their sites and the Kelrad users on their own sites. Plus there are several sites with duplicate numbers like the Ila and Jasper sites using 3 as the number as well as the Clermont and Elberton sites using 2. I'll take a look at the Towns site and see if I can receive it.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
I have never programmed a NXDN trunking system into a radio so I don't know if they use a bandplan like P25 does but it almost seems as if the Gunby sites have a random bandplan. I have played around with the math and can't find any correlation between LCNs of other sites. SC Fleettalk is another story, they all correlate. I personally think for database purposes here at RR that at least in the Georgia system that these systems should be divided up by the dealer that owns the sites vs the same page for all sites since every dealer seems to do their own thing. For example you will see the Gunby users only on their sites and the Kelrad users on their own sites. Plus there are several sites with duplicate numbers like the Ila and Jasper sites using 3 as the number as well as the Clermont and Elberton sites using 2. I'll take a look at the Towns site and see if I can receive it.
Thank you @apx7000xe - good to hear from you again in this thread.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
Can someone confirm the Lincoln County site CC. The one listed in RR Database shows as channel 350, 461.075 When I am monitoring the North Augusta site it shows Lincoln County as a neighboring site but it is showing channel 988 as CC. Thanks
The FCC license indicates the system is NXDN so there would be no color code (CC). I think you should be getting a RAN (radio access number) code.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about the @shajoe44 - I see your reference to CC was for control channel not color code. My bad.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
@apx7000xe -Did you have any luck receiving the Towns county site?

Status
Not open for further replies.