GA/NC/TN Wildfires Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Almost all air/ground wildfire operations traffic is conducted on the FM VHF frequencies. The AM VHF airband wildfire frequencies are used primarily for air to air, such as lead plane to tanker, air attack coordination, de-confliction of airspace and other comms between aircraft.

p1879

I can verify what you said here from actual experience putting my boots on the ground on a lot of fires.

Air to air tactics is conducted on VHF AM aviation frequencies except in California where two VHF FM frequencies are assigned to each National Forest in the Pacific Southwest Region (Region 5). Each Geographical Area Coordination Center has some preassigned VHF AM aviation frequencies. The FAA has control of these frequencies and they are subject to annual review and assignment by this agency. The preassigned frequencies are typically used for initial attack only. For extended attack incidents comm folks at the National Interagency Fire Center contact the FAA to get authorization for temporary use of the frequencies they need.

I've looked at many Incident Action Plans for fire all over the country during the last three years and have noticed that on occasion a VHF FM frequency is assigned for air to air tactics. I'm guessing that either the FAA frequency assignment process was too slow or maybe somehow AM frequencies were not available.

In my experience the only time VHF AM aviation frequencies are used for air to ground purposes is when a heliport is set up. A helo manager will use an AM frequency for approach/departure control and assignment of a parking spot. Helitack trucks always have VHF AM mobiles with remote control heads mounted in various locations on the vehicle to make this work possible. I'm recently retired from the NPS in fire management and I've never seen anyone other than helitack crews carry VHF-AM radios.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
The changes made to Cherokee NF are working well. I have been getting traffic on the new North District 172.375.

They have changed the USFS Law Enforcement freqs in east TN. I've searched for days trying to find anything new and im coming up with nothing. If you have anything new for the Law Enforcement side please post it.

SCPD

QRT

Thanks for posting this. It looks like my seat of the pants, boots on the ground observation of how aviation frequencies are assigned is accurate. The temporary air traffic control situation required due to a severe fire having lots of aircraft assigned is what I meant by "setting up a heliport."

The FAA tries to keep frequencies the same from year to year, except those used on extended attack fires. All the initial attack frequencies will stay the same from year to year unless some FAA issue requires they change. The zones that the document speaks of are dispatch zones, e.g. Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, Great Falls, Miles City and 2-3 others in Montana and Flagstaff, Williams, Prescott, Phoenix and Tucson in Arizona. It is a bit disappointing that they can't manage to keep 123.975 as the national airtanker base frequency kind of like 122.925 is "national resource management all call" nationwide without changing periodically.

Last edited:

drayd48

Went by party rock and south mountains fire. Only heard 1 spotter plane talking on one of the forestry VHF channels. NC VIPER is very active and that is what most people are using it seems. Statewide Events E-2 seems to be the main one for the party rock fire

p1879

I heard an a/c today passing 167.7 MHz (TN A/G 1) as a frequency he was switching on to. The big rain event will damp down things a lot. You can tell many fires are past the dirty and dangerous stage by the large number of "trainees" ( on the radio comms )in temporary supervisory roles, some perhaps Regional Office desk types getting their "experience" no doubt....

zachgallop

Unfortunately all Channels on the Sevier County LAND AIR Communications Rental Trunking System is encrypted under the counties policy they adopted. Maybe they are using conventional NXDN frequencies. My fire friend working up there said they are mostly using the trunking system for Sevier County operations. With outside fire agencies using TACN DHS D3 OPS 1. THP and TWRA is using THP Dispatch 1. TEMA using channels with TNNG on the TACN.Forestry is using vhf. And pigeon forge police is using their system and TACN.

Last edited:

zachgallop

THP District 1 Knoxville has a live feed. Regular operations have been switched to Dispatch 2 which is encrypted till this event is over. All Fire command operations can be heard on the feed because they are using Dispatch 1 for Fire Command Operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.