• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy 959 SSB CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdeeter19555

Where would be the best place for me to buy the 959 peaked and tuned from a reputable CB place online? I would also like the blue led's. I know it don't affect the performance in any way but like the way it looks. Any help is appreciated. There are several on Ebay but wanted to look elsewhere also. Thanks

DTB Radio out of Carlilse...that's if you want it done right.

sdeeter19555

SSb align would be a waste of money ,they will not stay on frec . If you plan on doing some side band look at something else.Tune and peak yes money well spent .. Blue lights hey if that.s what you like go for it ..

All of this is just my 2cents , means nothing ... Have fun , it,s only money ....

I had an early mosfet 959 for several years, had no issues with SSB...if it is worked properly, they are a decent radio. Put it into the hands of a hackjob, and SSB will suffer.

Dawn

Again, just what needed to be corrected or improved? Did you actually find a real problem with the radio or did somebody suggest or claim there was a problem that needed improvement or correction?

In over 42 years of being a tech, I swear only CB'er's and tube audiofools have to be the only group that rely on hearsay and entrenched fallicies that never seem to go away and always in search of some tweek,mod, or imagined perfromance enhancement. Outside of being obsessive with filtering for good reasons or adding modification that does indeed increase or correct some issue, hams aren't nowhere close to this hive mind think.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Another Option Possibly?

I like the Cobra 29XL to but it don't have SSB of course.

Have you given any thought to getting your ham license? You can do all kinds of things with a screwdriver and usually learn from it all the while staying legal.

You can push out 1500 watts into all kinds of cool antenna designs and if 10/11 meters is dead, no sweat, hit 40, 60 or 75/80. Tired of talking? How about digital modes? Yes, there are lots of folks who may jump in and say all kind of negative things about ham radio, and some are probably right. However, the license really gives you an open slate to do just about whatever you want and stay legal.

I wish you luck with your experiences in radio.....once you are bitten by the bug, its hard to drop the mic (or key) and pick up another hobby.

Vince

sdeeter19555

Again, just what needed to be corrected or improved? Did you actually find a real problem with the radio or did somebody suggest or claim there was a problem that needed improvement or correction?

In over 42 years of being a tech, I swear only CB'er's and tube audiofools have to be the only group that rely on hearsay and entrenched fallicies that never seem to go away and always in search of some tweek,mod, or imagined perfromance enhancement. Outside of being obsessive with filtering for good reasons or adding modification that does indeed increase or correct some issue, hams aren't nowhere close to this hive mind think.

I bought mine new-in-box, took it to DTB for a once over...he's a certified Galaxy Tech. He found a biasing circuit fried and it was in desperate need of alignment, among other things. Again, new-in-box. It seems Galaxy had an internal QC issue on their radios at one point, before they even left the factory.

It took him about an hour to get that radio right, and I ran it for several years afterwards without a hiccup.

Not all us "CB'er's" have the same goals...

Dawn

You're describing a real problem that needed correction, not an illusion or unrealistic expectation. That's simply the point I'm trying to make. While QC issues do indeed exist and I can tell horror stories from the best of them, but that's the rare exception then rule. It certainly isn't in the best interest of any company to manufacture products that aren't properly alligned as many in this hobby appear to believe although it wouldn't be implausible that retailers foster that illusion to their benefit.

UnidenBC92XLT

Have you given any thought to getting your ham license? You can do all kinds of things with a screwdriver and usually learn from it all the while staying legal.

You can push out 1500 watts into all kinds of cool antenna designs and if 10/11 meters is dead, no sweat, hit 40, 60 or 75/80. Tired of talking? How about digital modes? Yes, there are lots of folks who may jump in and say all kind of negative things about ham radio, and some are probably right. However, the license really gives you an open slate to do just about whatever you want and stay legal.

I wish you luck with your experiences in radio.....once you are bitten by the bug, its hard to drop the mic (or key) and pick up another hobby.

Vince

Yea I have thought about it. But I don't even know where to start. I will look around and see if I can find some stuff in that section of the forum. Thanks!

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Places To Start

Yea I have thought about it. But I don't even know where to start. I will look around and see if I can find some stuff in that section of the forum. Thanks!

I would be happy to lend a hand any way I can. In addition to the resources found here on RR, local radio clubs are also a great place to start. You can go to ARRL.ORG to find groups close to your QTH. Clubs are made up of people, so keep in mind that like any hobby or sport, there are all kinds of clubs and members within those clubs. Generally most clubs/members are eager to help a person interested in getting started as a radio amateur.

Keep in touch and let us know how you make out.

Vince

UnidenBC92XLT

Well I got my DX959 last Saturday. I hooked it up and used it for about 3 min and it quit TX and couldn't hear anything on it. I contacted Redman and he told me to send it back to galaxy that there warranty was great. So I did and they told me to send it to Dons CB Shop in Erie PA. He received the radio last Thursday and I got it back in the mail this morning. Now that's some quick turn around on warranty work. I asked galaxy if what Redman done to my radio had anything to do with what happened to it. They said absolutely not. It was Q60 they replaced and they done a align on it. It working awesome now. They also told me they warranty peaked and tuned CB as long as its not a total hack job. Redman also told me that Don was the best in the country the place they had me send it to. Just wanted to share.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
It used to be 16 and 36, 37, 38 39 & 40.....and from there the sky is the limit, at least up to 29.995 mhz.

SCPD

QRT
It used to be 16 and 36, 37, 38 39 & 40.....and from there the sky is the limit, at least up to 29.995 mhz.

You do not transmit on anything above 27.405 legally and do not transmit on anything from 28.000 on up unless you are a licensed amateur.Bad piece of advice to tell the OP otherwise.

10 Meters (28-29.7 MHz)
28.000-28.070 CW
28.070-28.150 RTTY
28.150-28.190 CW
28.200-28.300 Beacons
28.300-29.300 Phone
28.680 SSTV
29.000-29.200 AM
29.300-29.510 Satellite Downlinks
29.520-29.590 Repeater Inputs
29.600 FM Simplex
29.610-29.700 Repeater Outputs

UnidenBC92XLT

You do not transmit on anything above 27.405 legally and do not transmit on anything from 28.000 on up unless you are a licensed amateur.Bad piece of advice to tell the OP otherwise.

10 Meters (28-29.7 MHz)
28.000-28.070 CW
28.070-28.150 RTTY
28.150-28.190 CW
28.200-28.300 Beacons
28.300-29.300 Phone
28.680 SSTV
29.000-29.200 AM
29.300-29.510 Satellite Downlinks
29.520-29.590 Repeater Inputs
29.600 FM Simplex
29.610-29.700 Repeater Outputs

Well mine only goes up to 27.406 with USB so I should be good on the legal part.

UnidenBC92XLT

1898035_462149963884456_1694912303_n.jpg

Galaxy DX959
Pyramid PSV-300 30Amp Power Supply
Cobra HH28 CB 40 Channel
Uniden BCD 396XT Digital Scanner

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Nice station you have set up there.....nice quality gear. I have the 396XT too and it is my preferred scanner at home & on the road.

And the frequency stuff was just for reference....not that I am promoting free band. I encourage you to look deeper into ham radio and see what it has to offer you.

Vince

JPSan

Snake Radio Custom

Snake Radio Customs is an excellent one man shop.
He does a lot of upgrades and improvements on the 959.
His work is outstanding. Great attention to detail.
Excellent business ethic.
Really knows the insides of a CB.
Does quite excellent restoration work on the old classic radios, too.
His comments on his videos are great.
He videos each radio he works on. You can see all of them on You Tube from a link on his website.
It's interesting to see radios that have been butchered by other CB shops.
Scope out the videos and see for your self.
Snake Radio Customs - Home

KNY2ADQ

Snake Radio Customs is an excellent one man shop.
He does a lot of upgrades and improvements on the 959.
His work is outstanding. Great attention to detail.
Excellent business ethic.
Really knows the insides of a CB.
Does quite excellent restoration work on the old classic radios, too.
His comments on his videos are great.
He videos each radio he works on. You can see all of them on You Tube from a link on his website.
It's interesting to see radios that have been butchered by other CB shops.
Scope out the videos and see for your self.
Snake Radio Customs - Home

"Excellent business ethic" - Dropping "F" bombs and cutting down other shops is "Excellent business ethic." ????

"His work is outstanding. Great attention to detail" -
How does pay great attention to detail and do outstanding work without proper test equipment???? I wouldn't let this guy fix a toaster.

JPSan

Try harder?

"Excellent business ethic" - Dropping "F" bombs and cutting down other shops is "Excellent business ethic." ????

"His work is outstanding. Great attention to detail" -
How does pay great attention to detail and do outstanding work without proper test equipment???? I wouldn't let this guy fix a toaster.

Okay, IF you say so....I have watched a load of his videos and I have never heard him mention a specific hack CB shop. Just pointing out how bad some of the radios sent him are butchered by the truck stop and mobile shops. I've seen a lot of supposed tweaked and tuned truck stop butcher jobs in my day. They deserve to be called out. Clueless butchers with snips and a solder iron.

Obviously you are living in the past. He has a proper bench with the proper equipment and see go review the videos before you comment on what you are sure of.

So please point on what video he does this verbal tirade on specific shops...just curious. If so SO WHAT? Truth HURTS to the hackers and butchers, right? Oh, the dreaded " F " bomb. I hear that used and WORST on 38 LSB and else where on the CB band and amateur freq's. . Give me a break.

I guess if he is such a bad person that waiting list of customers and let alone
those very satisfied customers who have sent many radios are what and hoax?

He has a LOT of very satisfied clients, multiple clients. So if he is so bad why a waiting list? So it goes. People vote with there money.

Again, the truth hurts those that are called out on being radio butchers. Right.

Everyone has an opinion and good for them. I think your comments were a good laugh.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.