• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy DX-33HML???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatfishKirk

I was recently given a Galaxy DX-33HML radio. It did not have a power cord so I researched the name and read that this radio is not a cb as I was told but a 10 meter radio. Then I read another thing that said it was a cb radio. I would like to know what this radio is and if it truly is a 10 meter radio what that is as well. Thanks

nonperson

It's an "export" 10 meter radio. However many of them are "converted to operate on the 11 meter, CB band. The FCC rules says it's an unauthorized radio to use if it can operate on the CB band.

If you use it make sure it is on (CB) frequency, it doesn't interfere with other radio devices and don't transmit on the HAM frequencies etc. Other wise some HAM operator or other user(s) will report you.

The only time I've heard of these types of radios being a real issue or being reported is when they do the above mentioned things. So use at your own risk. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out the penalties etc so I will not steal their thunder. :D

nonperson

Based on my understanding of the rules the answer would be no. However it is done a lot. Just don't get caught. :D

If it was me I would hold on to it but if you want to sell it try a truck stop. Good luck!

I know these radios are usually intended to be used as CB's but are sold as 10 meter radios.

Do these radios actually work well if they're used on 10 meters? I know they seem to work well on CB but I just wonder if they actually work on 10m like they're advertised to or is it just a marketing gimmick?

K9WG

bob-the-scanner-man

These 'export' 10-meter radios are nothing more then a attempt to skirt the FCC rules and for most serious Hams are not useable. Most do not have sideband or have limited frequency range on 10-meters. I never understood why an Amateur Radio operator would need an 'echo' feature. For the price of one of these '10-meter' transceivers you can get a nice used rig that was engineered for Ham radio.

Just my not so humble opinion.

btw: I purchased a Radio Shack HTX-10 right when RS was getting out of the Ham market. I was afraid it would be a glorified CB radio but found it to be a great little rig and worked many countries both base and mobile.

K9WG, that's about what I figured. I'm both an amatuer operator and a CB operator and a 10m "export radio" doesn't really appeal to me for either.

You're right that if you want a 10m radio you can get a better radio with better features for the same price.

Also, I don't really see the appeal of these as CB radios. Aside from the legality I just can't see any features that are really appealing. Most of these export radios are AM and FM, but not SSB which is stupid. If I'm going to spend that much money on a radio I'd expect it to have both AM and SSB. What use is FM on 11m?

K9WG

I think the appeal of these 'CB' radios is the slightly higher power and the ability to tune out of band. I also get a kick out of the outrageously big CB antennas I see on cars/trucks. I guess if you have a BIG coil you can modulate better....

nonperson

I think the appeal of these 'CB' radios is the slightly higher power and the ability to tune out of band. I also get a kick out of the outrageously big CB antennas I see on cars/trucks. I guess if you have a BIG coil you can modulate better....

I use to wander about those "big coil" antennas. I have fairly recently learned that those coils do serve a purpose. I can't remember exactly how they help but it's got nothing to do with modulation. :) I think it was to do with tuning or making the short antennas more broad banded? However I bet some just have them for the "cool" factor. I'm sticking with the 102" whip.

So this radio would not be good to use as a base station cb nor would it be worth my time in getting ham licensed to operate it.

I wouldn't say that....
Make sure it's on frequency and doesn't "bleed" over or interfere with others. If you were to get your HAM license you could use it on the HAM frequencies (it covers) but you may be limited with what you can do as a HAM operator with that radio.
I use to sweat over the FCC rules. But after reading some of the enforcement letters posted on forums like this, it appears as long as your equipment doesn't interfere with other services and stays on frequency, the FCC would probably never know about it. :)
If I was to get an export 10 meter radio I would get one of the RCI radios like these: :D
CBRadioMagazine.com - RCI-2970N2 10 Meter AM/FM/SSB Export Radio Review
CBRadioMagazine.com - RCI-2950DX 10 Meter AM/FM/SSB Export Radio Review
CBRadioMagazine.com - RCI-2980 AM/SSB Video Review CB Review
:D
Unfortunately I can't afford one right now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.