• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy DX 959

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveP3187

Hey everyone. Im new to the forums here. Not so much new to CBs but havent used one in years. Im ready to pull the trigger on a Galaxy DX959 but with all the talk of CB being dead im wondering if the money would be better spent elsewhere?. My intent is to have backup comms in these uncertain times. I already have a small 2 meter mobile and was getting licensed in May but it was cancelled. What say you?

jassing

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for reliable communication in trouble times -- a ham is probably more useful.
That said, I have several CB's and only one quad-band ham radio...
CB is filled with junk; but I still find people to talk to, and when skip is open, it's a little more fun. I stick to mostly ssb.
HAM is a lot more rigid and is self-policing, keeping the junk off it. I would take your test as as soon as you can, can't hurt to have it, and opens up a lot more options.

Premium Subscriber
Definitely better options out there in terms of NEEDING to get a hold of someone.

CB kinda depends on where you're located too. Meaning, years ago, I had locals on most any time of the day/night.
Nowadays here in my neck of the woods (which is located near two busy freeways) There is next to nothing on CB.
I'd be dead in the water so to speak if that was me last ditch resort.

I do like CB for the SSB when conditions permit.

Also, just to nit pick on your mentioned CB... I mean its OK. I have owned two. Drifty on SSB, which for me I didn't like.
It does what you need it to I guess, but also right out of the box are known to be off frequency.

Any who, I'm sure you'll find alot of people weighing in with options/opinions.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
My intent is to have backup comms in these uncertain times

I’m not sure what you mean by “uncertain” times, as that is open for speculation and discussion.
However, if you have concerns about cellular phone service and internet access going down, then I would look at these factors...
-who do you want to be able to contact ?
A group of friends/allies that you know will be prepared as you are?
In that case, you would have to have a pre-arranged plan in place, and such a plan would include communications. If all those involved are willing to get an amateur radio license ahead of time, in preparation of such an event, then the amateur radio service is a good way to go.

-Or do you think you just want to have a radio to see who else is out there in such an event?
If you are just winging it in case those services go down, then it depends on your location as to whether you go CB or ham or GMRS or FRS. In my area, there are many rolling hills and the terrain is terrible for “line of sight” comms. For local coverage, I have found CB frequencies to work well to make local contact (the radio signals literally “bend” over the rolling hills), where the VHF/UHF frequencies of the amateur bands do not work as well. Many of the HF amateur bands will be useless for communicating over short distances, so you need to understand how radio signals travel, and use the appropriate bands.

If you only want to reach your local neighborhood, perhaps FRS or GMRS would be enough. I’ll bet you that most people have FRS walkie talkies in their house right now, and if our normal means of communication are upset, then I really only need to communicate on a local/regional basis.

So I would suggest you assess your concerns more, and determine what you really would need in a crisis situation. Who do you think you would need to communication with ? If you have real concerns about that situation, and if you really want to be as prepared as possible, you could do as I do, and have an amateur radio license with an HF radio and several different types of HF antennas (wire and portable) and several VHF/UHF radios that cover the hams bands, as well as other bands (because in a true emergency, a ham license doesn’t really mean much) and batteries to power the radios, a GMRS license along with a GMRS repeater in my house, that can be powered from my whole house generator. I have FRS walkie talkies with spare batteries, I have CB radios with base station antennas as well as mobile antennas, and have CB and VHF/UHF radios in all of my vehicles. And I have about a dozen friends/acquaintances I know I can reach with my radios, using the different bands available to me, that have similar plans and preparations, and that covers an area out to 26 miles away from me in my best direction (and that is with a CB radio going over a 1000’ hill in between us. Can’t make the contact on 2m or 70cm. but of course, can with the 10m amateur band, since that is right next to the CB band).

Is my communications plan overkill ? I don’t know, but I do know I have not gone without anything during the current COVID-19 situation, because my other preparation plans are equally executed as my comms plan. These are just some things to consider as you make your own preparations. I hope all Americans will do as you are doing, and give thought to what we would do during “uncertain times”.

JayMojave

Hello 3187: Yeah the Galaxy will be a good call, with a base antenna and 12 volt power supply. In these uncertain times, yeah just that uncertain times, CB Radio has been used to the public advantage and help over the years many many times.

The Ham radios are also useful as the VHF /UHF radios can be modified to cover MURs for VHF, and FRS/GMRS for UHF radio services with just one modest duel band radio and antenna.

Let us know how you make out there, Good luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

86lidewell

Premium Subscriber
Lots of people are pulling out their 30 year old CBs and asking for radio checks around here.
I don't have one but I hear a lot of people praise the 959. If you enjoyed CB radios years ago, you will find they are still fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.