• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy Dx88 choppy receive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

I have a Galaxy Dx88 which I used as a base station years ago, but stopped due to an issue I have. The receive is choppy. You can hear signals and or static but the choppyness won't stop. Do you know what could be causing this? Here's a video of the issue. https://youtu.be/i1DSqaXWF6s

Update: I did find this "General Galaxy Tips

77-99 SSB models AM/FM receive problem: If AM/FM receive out, or intermittent, check D4" in a web search, could this be my problem?

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Without an antenna being connected and the noise is there, I'd suspect either a capacitor or maybe a diode at fault. It's more than likely in the voltage input side of your transceiver. If you have a schematic, use it to check all the components in that circuit.
Keep us posted if you chose to inspect the inside of your radio; some one will be able to help. If you chose to let a radio shop check it out, be sure it's not a golden screwdriver outfit.

stlouisx50

Thanks for your input. I found the schematic for the radio, however I read that while you can check diodes, resistors, and capacitors with a multimeter, you likely will not get an accurate reading while they are mounted to the board. Should I still give it a shot in the power side?

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
That's true about the component being in circuit, you will not get an accurate reading. If you are able to do some soldering, you can unsolder one leg and check the part that way. You have to lift the leg completely off the board.
With a diode, you measure the resistance one way and then switch the leads of the meter and read again. You should read close to infinity one way and some type of reading the other.
With a capacitor, test the unit one way, then switch the meter probes. You should see a deflection when reversed test leads.
I always like to use an analog meter for testing these two components. A digital works ok, but I'm old school.
If the diode reads the same in both forward and reverse test lead connection, then it will generally be bad.
If testing a capacitor reads zero on the lowest scale, then it too is generally bad.
If it reads the same when reversing the test leads, then it is bad also.
HTH.
If you need more help let us know.
Hopefully I've not confused the heck out of you...

edit: you can find cheap analog multimeters on ebay.
It doesn't hurt to have both analog and digital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.