Galaxy DX99-V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Wondering if anyone owns one of these 10 meter rigs?

I've been wanting to get on 10 meters, and have been looking at a TYT TH-9800. Since I'm only a Tech at the moment, I wouldn't be able to use the 10 meter portion since it doesn't do SSB. So, while I'm studying for my General license, I've been looking at 10 meter rigs that do SSB. A local eBay seller has the DX99-V2 in stock and I can pick it up today if I would purchase it.

So, does anyone here have any experience with this radio? If so, I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

Thanks in advance.

:)

milkman21218

The Galaxy CB's make a very poor radio for Amateur radio use. Get a real Ham radio. Or at least get something like a RCI-2950 which won't drift everywhere. But it's your money.

methusaleh

The problem I have with those types of radios is that there is not much about them that comes close to the performance of a real dedicated 10m or HF rig. In fact I've seen good hams get turned off to 10m operations due to negative experiences with Galaxy radios and the like. They did not think that the alternatives were good, and took the cheap way out to get on the air quickly.

I am an automotive gearhead, so I will put it in terms of cars.

Which do you think would deliver more satisfaction and less frustration? That $1000 Chevy Cavalier Z24 at the used car lot, a super econo quasi-sports car that you can afford to buy today...or would you be happier and more better off in the long run if you saved your pennies for a while and bought a decent Vette?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input.

Along with thinking about what radio to purchase, I've been studying the General license material so I can upgrade. I think i'll just keep going that route and wait until I pass that test and then get a good radio.

Once again, thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express via "Tap-A-Talk"

Status
Not open for further replies.