Gallipolis Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

A number of folks have asked me about this tower, so here are some up close and personal pictures, as well as a bit of an explanation.

The "billboard" tower is actually a passive repeater on the old Ohio Bell microwave route that meandered up the river. Instead of an active site with electronics, they could go from an active site and bounce the signal along LOS for a route. Otherwise they would have to have a LOT more active sites.

Now it is a lease tower.

Galipolis OH - a set on Flickr

iamhere300

I am going to steal that if you don't mind. I was not able to get that close at that angle.

In that Flickr album there are a lot of former AT&T towers in Ohio and other states.

tazz

Go ahead and use the pic if you wish. I took it from the parking lot of the Silver Bridge Plaza Shopping Center. I always wanted to know what kind of tower it was. Very interesting. I don't think there is much towers around anymore like it.

tazz

Looking at you pictures you have on Flickr, you have some nice pictures of the AT &T tower in Beaver, Ohio. Where exactly is this tower located ???

iamhere300

Looking at you pictures you have on Flickr, you have some nice pictures of the AT &T tower in Beaver, Ohio. Where exactly is this tower located ???

Understand, I have been to hundreds of these sites, and my memory gets fuzzy, but I believe that was north of Beaver, on Wickline road.

iamhere300

Go ahead and use the pic if you wish. I took it from the parking lot of the Silver Bridge Plaza Shopping Center. I always wanted to know what kind of tower it was. Very interesting. I don't think there is much towers around anymore like it.

Thanks - it will be our main marketing photo for the site.

There were never a lot of really tall passive repeaters, most were much smaller like the one to the south of this, near Procterville I believe.

Out west there were a number of them also.

tazz

Thanks for the information on the Beaver, Ohio AT&T site. I would like to find it and get some pictures of it for myself.

I was thinking also the Gallipolis tower was the only "high mounted" passive repeater site I have ever seen. Like you said most of them are smaller. I know of one North of Ironton, Ohio.

It's nice you can use the picture for your website. That's really neat. I''m glad I could help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.