Gamber Johnson Console and Icom Commercial Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Gamber Johnson makes some nice products. I am getting a GJ ShortStack installed on Wednesday with a BCT-15 and Yaesu 8700 along with all new antennae for each. I'm pretty stoked about it. I was looking for something like the ShortStack and after months of searching I just happened to find out about Gamber Johnson through a thread here on RR.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I agree, very clean. I always liked the 95-99 Gm dashes.

Clean, clean, clean.

1-3 well performing, cleanly installed rigs ALWAYS win vs. a rack/console full of "junk".

Rich

kc4wwu

Gamber Johnson in the Suburban

I am just curious, I like the setup, what model number is that Gamber Johnson. Looks like it is more than one piece. So if you could tell me the model numbers of what you used, that would be great. Alos, what was the cost for that?

K

kb0nly

Even if he has no need for out of ham band TX (no GMRS, volunteer responder, etc) I would still rather have the two icom commercial rigs than one FT8800. They will RX just as good as the FT8800, and probably better. They can still be used on the ham bands as well, so if he can afford it, go for it.

Thats because Icom = I Can Only Monitor

:)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thats because Icom = I Can Only Monitor

:)

Hey, my T2H does not agree with you at all. It lives in the back of my truck with a cache of AA eneloops, just in case my sabers die (or all the batteries I have for them ;))

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Us Motorola users here on the first coast, like to Harrass the ICOM users...

ICOM = I Can't Own Motorola :)

¿Que

10-25-08_2316.jpg

:D P.S. the MTX9000 was on the belt.

K

kb0nly

LOL...

ICOM, Motorola, Yaesu/Vertex... It's all good, they all have their points.

We used to have an old ham here, passed away years ago, that used to harrass anyone with an Icom. I don't know why he hated them so much but oh well.

I've had issues with every brand one time or another.

Grog : Put all those Sabers on your belt at the same time and you end up looking like a plumber!!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Scott - looks good, nice and clean. Also, a word to the wise - if you hadn't thought of it already - get a screen support for your laptop. Gamber makes them (as do others) for their cradles.

Mike

Last edited:

HarryWilly

Very very clean. Seriously, A+ for neatness on this job.

I could understand switching to two mobiles two. One of the reasons I liked have two mobiles over a dual bander was it was less complicated. A dual Motorola setup and a cheapo repeater cable from eBay or built yourself will get you just about everything you need to do if you talk and receive on the same stuff all the time - if you are into hamfests or travel a lot and need to change settings and don't like having to reprogram stuff all the time, that is when I would choose a dual bander. I would also choose it over dual mobiles if I had a space issue, but apparently that isn't a problem here.

Can you be more specific on what antennas you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.