Gamber Johnson Console and Icom Commercial Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7SAC

Here are a couple pictures of my set. The first pictures show the console when I first installed it with a Yaesu 8800 face remotely mounted. I then switched to commercial Icom radios 1821 and 2821. I've also added a laptop mount. This setup is great for storm chasing etc. This is all in a 99 Chevy Suburban.

--Scott

Console1.JPG

Console2.JPG

Console3.JPG

Console4.JPG

Console5.JPG

Console6.JPG

Console7.JPG

Console8.JPG

Here are the updated pics
DSC03145.JPG

DSC03146.JPG

countryboy879

very nice i like that setup!!!very nice and neat ....i have to get my setup up here once i get my ham ticket!!!right noe im operating on 11 meter with a scanner in truck!!!

KC0QNB

I am glad you posted the later pics also, the one control head looked kind of lonely on that big console, nice setup clean and neat, just a thought, I have wondered this for years will the Gamber enclosed console have a provision for a ventilation fan to be installed, I have seen some installs like yours, that have 6 or more radios in them, it just seems logical to me to put a fan in one end of the console and a vent hole in the other, to "make sure all systems are operating within specified parameters" (I watched a lot of StarTrek over the years) always liked that line.

N7SAC

I am glad you posted the later pics also, the one control head looked kind of lonely on that big console, nice setup clean and neat, just a thought, I have wondered this for years will the Gamber enclosed console have a provision for a ventilation fan to be installed, I have seen some installs like yours, that have 6 or more radios in them, it just seems logical to me to put a fan in one end of the console and a vent hole in the other, to "make sure all systems are operating within specified parameters" (I watched a lot of StarTrek over the years) always liked that line.

You could easily modify the console with a fan. However I don't think it's really needed. The box isn't as seal up as it looks. The bottom is pretty much wide open.

sirsmiley

just curious to why you need the radios and laptop mount...are you public safety. police fire ambulance? i would think a significant other would ***** about that otherwise,

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Even if he has no need for out of ham band TX (no GMRS, volunteer responder, etc) I would still rather have the two icom commercial rigs than one FT8800. They will RX just as good as the FT8800, and probably better. They can still be used on the ham bands as well, so if he can afford it, go for it.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've had several "significant others" and yet my radios are always there for me when I look to trade in for a new model (significant other, not radio) :D

N7SAC

just curious to why you need the radios and laptop mount...are you public safety. police fire ambulance? i would think a significant other would ***** about that otherwise,

I use the laptop for GPS, Weather Tracking, Mobile Internet and radio programming. My Wife complains about it all the time. Mainly because of the loss of drink holders. However she puts up with it because she loves me :).

I prefer the Commercial equipment to the Amateur equipment. I've found the Commercial stuff sounds much better on both ends and is usually built better.

N7SAC

Here are a couple antenna pictures. They are a bit hard to see but I tried :)

DSC03165.JPG

DSC03166.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.