Gander — Iceland HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
Hello and Merry Christmas

looking for some active Iceland HF frequencies as flights make the North Atlantic crossing. Easy to hear Gander but never hear Iceland.

cheers
Chris

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If propagation is kind, you would likely be able to hear Iceland's HFDL network Decoding is easy with PC-HFDL, Sigmira, Sorcerer and MultiPSK. See here for the HFDL system table; there's a link that has a zip file which includes a text file version.....

And as for the digital packages I just mentioned...

Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Gander - Iceland - Shanwick, NAT B and NAT C routes only. Frequency in use depends on time of day and propagation conditions. I can send you my full MWARA list as a large excel file, last update was 2017.

2872.​
USB
2899.​
USB
5616.​
USB
5649.​
USB
8864.​
USB
8879.​
USB
11336.​
USB
13291.​
USB
13306.​
USB
17496.​
USB
17946.​
USB

brandon

Database Admin
8891 for Iceland, but they are not as busy and you'll mostly hear Gander here.
Also 4675 and 11279.

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys !! I will keep watch on the NAT D frequencies. I’m rather surprised since watching the traffic that transits through there and North is significant. Cheers !

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Remember, on some routes from Europe it is possible to pass straight from Scottish ATC on VHF to Rekyavik VHF. HF wouldn't even be used until clear of Iceland VHF range I suppose - but haven't really monitored much from within Iceland so not 100% sure how they do this.

A decade or so ago, Iceland were considering establishing VHF communication sites in multiple locations across Greenland as well, thereby extending VHF capabilities (these were to be installed on proposed ADS-B sites). I don't know if they ever went ahead and did that. But if so, then quite a bit of their comms would be VHF now.

autovon

Ø
There are also Blue Spruce routes (I think they renamed it a few years ago, been awhile since I used that route) that are VHF for the whole Europe to North America journey.

n2nov

Some interesting reading regarding the NAT area:

Status
Not open for further replies.