Gap in coverage Starcom21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I am setting up a system for I-64, west to east, and have a gap between St. Clair and Mt. Vernon. When I look at St. Clair site info it has several neighbors listed one being site 355. When I look for site 355 it is missing from the DB. I notice there is no site listed for Washington County, is this the missing or is there no site in WC.
Thanks

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Looks like your correct, no Site in Washington Co....Closest to I64 would be Site 301 and Site 314....Its like up north in my area there is NO Site in Kendall Co.....

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
It looks like Sparta in Randolph Co. is going to be the missing link, it is not identified with a site number in the database and has a small loop over I-64 between the St. Clair site and Mt. Vernon.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Since Sparta is missing it's site # maybe it is the Site 355 referenced as a neighbor to St. Clair County .

VASCAR2

The site in Junction City in Clinton County covers part of I 64. I have traveled across I 64 West to East and in the summer when the foliage is at it's greatest, coverage can be spotty. When I was issued a Starcom mobile I never noticed a lack of coverge going to the metro east. If I remember correctly our TG's were carried on the St. Clair County Simulcast sites. There is a Simulcast site near Scott AF base which would reach near where the Junction City coverage kicks in.

There are places along I 64 where a portable without vehicular repeater is just about useless. If I remember correctly our mobiles were 45 Watts which helped a lot with coverage. Motorola is supposed to provide 95 % mobile coverage out side a few selected metro areas. The lacking coverage areas are not always predictable and are exacerbated during the summer months. The system isn't to bad in the winter but fortunately the problems we had trouble getting in on high band are usually not the same places as SC21 dead spots. I think a lot of SC21 coverage issues are because of the use of directional antennas not being aimed properly. The sites that use Omni directional antennas seem to be a lot better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.