Garbled Audio at random times

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to my Pro-197 scanner on the police and sheriff channels the audio sometimes garbles for some reason. It happens at randoms times just whenever. Both systems are P25 single channel no trunking. I was wondering if this has happend to anyone else and if there are some settings to make it sound good.

Thanks !

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes. P25 signals are subject to "multipath" which is a phenomenon that can occur for a number of reasons.
1. Use a antenna on your pro-197 to coincide with the band you're having issues with vhf,uhf, 800mhz.
2. Position your pro-197 near a window.
3. Use the analyze feature to find a "sweet spot" or area of stronger signal in your home.

n9zas

W2NJS

If the signal "drops out" and you hear nothing but funny-sounding hash it's probably what is called "packet loss" which means that an important component of the transmitted signal has been lost which causes the radio receiver to get messed up, plain and simple. There are many possible causes for this, but as was pointed out above, relocating your antenna might help.

Alright i'll try some of that stuff. I also notice sometimes when it does happen it also does it in the police cars too. Must be something with the PD side. Thanks for all the advice !

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you use the "analyze" feature while you're receiving a signal then try to position the radio or antenna where you can get as close to 99% as possible on the display.
I find that if digital signals drop below the 85% threshold then they become unusable.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.