Garbled audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddoppke

Many time using either of the Radio Shack digital units I hear one side of the conversation clear and the other side comes back garbled, almost like digital not decoded. I'm thinking that the signal is not coming in strong enough for the radio to decode it and the other half is. What are the opinions out there? Does this sound logical? If it was encrypted I would think I should not get any of it. Thanks for your input.

Dennis

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, but I think it IS possible to have one user using encryption, and the other user not using encryption, and they can still communicate. What system are you referring to?

seamusg

ddoppke said:
Many time using either of the Radio Shack digital units I hear one side of the conversation clear and the other side comes back garbled, almost like digital not decoded. I'm thinking that the signal is not coming in strong enough for the radio to decode it and the other half is. What are the opinions out there? Does this sound logical? If it was encrypted I would think I should not get any of it. Thanks for your input.

Dennis
I usually hear that when a radio is in a bad spot and the repeater is not getting a good signal from him. If it was encrypted it would sound more like R2D2.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Many coms on the York/JCC/Williamsburg VA system or encrypted on one side while the other is clear. Even some school buses encrypt and others do not. Go figure!!

jeffrey420

seamusg said:
I usually hear that when a radio is in a bad spot and the repeater is not getting a good signal from him. If it was encrypted it would sound more like R2D2.

The encyrpted stuff around here sounds more like a cd playing back at super high speed.

I have never heard it mixed yet.

seamusg

jeffrey420 said:
The encyrpted stuff around here sounds more like a cd playing back at super high speed.

I have never heard it mixed yet.
I thought that's how they made R2D2. No mixed here mostly p25.

jeffrey420

railside said:
DOES the analog sound better on a digital scanner?

Analog sounds the same on a digital scanner. Digital scanner just means it is capable of decoding a digital signal.

jeffrey420

seamusg said:

I'm not sure how they did R2D2 sound. The encrypted stuff hear sounds a bit differant than that. But definately reminds me of something out of a sci-fi movie. Plus I'm sure the message's words vary the sound bit by bit.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
That happens alot around here. One side of the conversation is in Digital and the other is encrypted. They forget to turn that little encrypted button on! LOL

zmanpro96

I get the same problem on my pro 96 here in wake county...I think the unclear transmitter is just in a bad spot....If it was encrypted I imagine it wouldnt even be garbled...Just a bunch of beeps and noise...

jeffrey420

I heard some tonight.

seamusg said:

I heard some encrypted tonight on a differant system. It did sound like R2D2. The other system sounds similar but differant. More like R2D2 in hyper speed which was on fed freqs. I wonder if they have some kind of secondary encryption going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.