Garfield County Wildland

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Garfield County: Area of CR-100 and CO-82 near the Roaring Fork Preserve, brush fire with evacs and structures threatened..Carbondale Fire O/S with BLM engines enr, M/A requested from as far away as Rifle and into Mesa County..CSP with CO-82 closures at MM-14 and CO-133..

Ops on FERN, DTRS and online

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Garfield Co U/D: CO-82 closed in both dirs from CO-133 to Catherine Store Rd.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Garfield County U/D: Evacuation within 3 miles Catherine's Store., Reverse-911 reportedly sent out, fire is around 100 acres. But very limited information due to countywide encryption.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
CARBONDALE (AP) - Authorities have evacuated a private school and are preparing to evacuate a subdivision near the western Colorado town of Carbondale because of a wind-driven 100-acre wildfire.

Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario said Tuesday the fire was burning in mostly brush and grass.

It's not yet known how many homes are in the subdivision and how many residents and students are being moved. Many of the students had already left for the day when the evacuation began at 1 p.m.

A five-mile stretch of Colorado 82 has been closed due to heavy smoke.

RodStrong

Little bit of activity on MAC 17 as well. Sounds like some limited ops stuff amongst a handfull of users.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Heard some of that on 17 earlier but there was mention of Hayden so wondered if was the same incident.

Jim<

RodStrong

jimmnn said:
Heard some of that on 17 earlier but there was mention of Hayden so wondered if was the same incident. Jim<

You may be right actually. I heard them mention the first name of a person of the same name who I know who is on the Moffat County S/O Fire Team, so it could be someone up assisting in the Hayden area. I've been getting the traffic off of Grand Mesa and Mesa Point.

Last edited:

RodStrong

Winds whip Carbondale fire
300-acre blaze threatens homes

By John Gardner
Post Independent Staff
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
April 16, 2008

CARBONDALE, Colorado — All Arthur Piubeni could do at the junction of Catherine Store Road and Main Street in Carbondale, was watch as smoke billowed from the trees in the distance to the east. He clutched his cell phone in one hand and chewed on his lip as he stared at the County Road 100 Fire, which burned 300 acres near his home at The Ranch at Roaring Fork.

He was nervous.

“We could be in trouble,” Piubeni said.

High winds fueled the wildfire and caused several homes to be threatened Tuesday afternoon. Piubeni stood alongside several area residents, watching the smoke build in front of them. Piubeni wondered if his wife and kids were safe, and if his home was still standing.

“My wife called me at noon and said there was smoke,” Piubeni said. “She didn’t know where it was coming from, but she said that she had to evacuate.”

By 8 p.m. the fire was reported as 25 percent contained, according to Tamra Blackard of the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office.

However, Blackard could give no estimation on how long crews would be out fighting the fire but they remained on scene throughout the night.

“We don’t have a time frame right now,” Blackard said. “We are at 25 percent contained, but we are still fighting 50 mile-an-hour winds.”

Highway 82 was closed for about four hours during the afternoon, until one lane in each direction was reopened by 7:30 p.m.

Blackard said that several county and access roads between Carbondale and El Jebel, including County Road 100 and County Road 103, remained closed at 9 p.m. As well, homes and businesses within a three-mile radius of the Catherine Store in Carbondale were under a mandatory evacuation order due to the fire. The evacuation was lifted for some residents around 10 p.m.

The fire originated about one mile east of Carbondale, on private property near County Road 100 and Highway 82, shortly after noon. The cause of the fire has not been determined and remains under investigation.

Four structures, at least two of which were homes, were damaged by fire but were not destroyed. One person received non-life-threatening injuries, according to the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, but no information on his condition was available.

Electric, telephone and gas service was not working in some areas surrounding the fire shortly after 8 p.m.

Evacuees were advised to go to Roaring Fork High School in Carbondale, where the Red Cross set up a shelter for those displaced.

Fire departments from Carbondale, Basalt, Glenwood Springs, Rifle, Gypsum, Eagle, Grand Junction and Burning Mountains, along with several other agencies including Garfield County Sheriff’s Office and other area sheriff’s departments, responded to the scene.

The Upper Colorado River Fire Management Unit — a federal interagency group made up of the BLM, the U.S.D.A. Forest Service and the National Park Service — sent four engines, and also requested 40 firefighters to assist in fighting the fire, said David Boyd, a spokesman for the Bureau of Land Management.

Phillip Yates contributed to this story.

Contact John Gardner: 384-9114
jgardner@postindependent.com

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20080416/VALLEYNEWS/32303110

rfburns

RodStrong said:
I heard them mention the first name of a person of the same name who I know who is on the Moffat County S/O Fire Team
About 11:00 Moffat Co had a wildland fire A/O Butler Sawmill, CR 3 and CR 106. That's more or less NNW of Craig a fair distance from Hayden. Believe they had MA from BLM, but comms should have been on FERN1 or FIRE IA. A little later than that there was a large tree uprooted by the high winds at 9th & Yampa Ave. Some residents thought it was a microburst. Also some other smaller trees down in the area, but I don't know why they would have been on MAC 17.

rfburns

rfburns said:
About 11:00 Moffat Co had a wildland fire A/O Butler Sawmill, CR 3 and CR 106.
Ignition source was a controlled burn according to Sheriff Jantz. I don't know why someone would have been burning in yesterday's high winds.

RodStrong

rfburns said:
About 11:00 Moffat Co had a wildland fire A/O Butler Sawmill, CR 3 and CR 106. That's more or less NNW of Craig a fair distance from Hayden. Believe they had MA from BLM, but comms should have been on FERN1 or FIRE IA. A little later than that there was a large tree uprooted by the high winds at 9th & Yampa Ave. Some residents thought it was a microburst. Also some other smaller trees down in the area, but I don't know why they would have been on MAC 17.

Well that makes sense. In listening to some of the firefighters' comments, it sounded like all or at least some of them were Sheriff's Deputies. That in combination with the name of a person I know from the Moffat S/O Fire Team made me speculate that's who it was.

And I agree, I was kind of wondering why they were on MAC 17. Maybe there was one or two of them from another agency with DTR radios, that didn't have Moffat County stuff in them.

rfburns

Craig Dispatch (not CRCC) has MAC 17 now in addition to NW Net, but I don't know if they were on MAC 17 during the Butler Sawmill Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.