Garmin 255WT Placement in Jeep Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 255WT portable navigation system and I wanted to know what the best place to put it would be in my Jeep Liberty. I am currently using the suction cup mount that came with it in the lower left area of my windshield. I am running the cable to the cigarette lighter. Is that a good place to leave it?

The cigarette lighter only turns on when the car's battery is on, so here is my question. Every time I turn on/off my car it will turn on/off my Garmin. Is that okay for the battery life/operation of my device? This also means that my Garmin will only charge when the car is on.

Thanks! :)

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
There really is no safe place to attach anything to the windshield of a car, but down in the lower left corner is probably safer than in the middle.

I hit a deer one day and the rear view mirror detached from the windshield and flew back fast enough to break the back window of the car I was driving.

Also, if you have a 2 way radio in your car, the traffic receiver is sensitive to RF when you transmit on VHF

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
There really is no safe place to attach anything to the windshield of a car, but down in the lower left corner is probably safer than in the middle.

I hit a deer one day and the rear view mirror detached from the windshield and flew back fast enough to break the back window of the car I was driving.

Also, if you have a 2 way radio in your car, the traffic receiver is sensitive to RF when you transmit on VHF

I don't have a two way radio, so that isn't an issue. Is it okay to leave it plugged into my cigarette lighter all the time? When I turn off my car, the GPS turns off with it, and when I turn on my car the GPS turns on with it. It is using the external power instead of the battery I think so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I have the same model, and the unit turns off automatically if you dont interrupt it.

I have not had any problem with this.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I have the same model, and the unit turns off automatically if you dont interrupt it.

I have not had any problem with this.

So you always leave it plugged into your cigarette lighter? No damage to the battery? What's a good way to run the wire? I just tucked it in between the windshield and the dashboard, then ran the adapter to the cigarette lighter...no other choice there...

Last edited:

slicerwizard

The cigarette lighter only turns on when the car's battery is on, so here is my question. Every time I turn on/off my car it will turn on/off my Garmin. Is that okay for the battery life/operation of my device? This also means that my Garmin will only charge when the car is on.
Of course it's fine - it was designed to be used in exactly that manner.

What exactly are you concerned about - what is it that you think might happen?

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Don't mount it to the windshield. I know that's the easiest thing to do with the suction cup, but most places it's actually illegal. Mount it on the dash. Every GPS I've ever seen came with an adhesive backed disc that you stick on your dash and then stick the suction cup on it. Make sure to clean the area with an alcohol pad first.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Don't mount it to the windshield. I know that's the easiest thing to do with the suction cup, but most places it's actually illegal. Mount it on the dash. Every GPS I've ever seen came with an adhesive backed disc that you stick on your dash and then stick the suction cup on it. Make sure to clean the area with an alcohol pad first.

I would do that if I had a dash lol, but on my Jeep Liberty there isn't much of that...here is a picture of a Jeep Liberty and its dash...(not mine lol). I have my navigation system mounted with the suction cup mount in the lower left side of the windshield.

Attachments

• liberty_ltd_dash.jpg
    liberty_ltd_dash.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 7,117
Last edited:

N0IU

I can't tell from that picture, but doesn't the Liberty have both a cigarette lighter AND an accessory port that stays hot all the time? My Cherokee has both and I leave my GPS plugged into the accessory port. Sure, there is a small drain on the battery, but I drive it every day so it really isn't an issue for me.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I can't tell from that picture, but doesn't the Liberty have both a cigarette lighter AND an accessory port that stays hot all the time? My Cherokee has both and I leave my GPS plugged into the accessory port. Sure, there is a small drain on the battery, but I drive it every day so it really isn't an issue for me.

Hey Scott,

Yes, it does have a port that stays on all the time, but charging the GPS isn't really the issue. I always leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter purposely so it will turn on when I turn the car on and turn off when I turn the car off. When I turn off my Jeep, it will ask on the GPS if I want to keep it on battery power or if I want it to turn off with the car, which it will automatically do in 30 seconds if I do not select anything. You think that's okay? I don't know whether I should keep it plugged in all the time, because I don't use it for directions very often yet, but it is nice to look where I am when I drive around town, just for the fun of it sometimes.

N0IU

I do have a Garmin (but not that model) and it does exactly the same thing which is why I use the accessory port instead of the cigarette lighter. I do turn the GPS off when I am not using it however. Is this the "ideal" way to power the GPS and keep it charged? Who knows?? The only time I ever actually use the internal battery is when I temporarily put the GPS in one of our other vehicles.

To be honest, I mostly use the GPS's for its MP3 player function! My wife gave it to me for my birthday a couple of years ago and it would break her heart if I didn't use it! I am a very lucky guy!

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I do have a Garmin (but not that model) and it does exactly the same thing which is why I use the accessory port instead of the cigarette lighter. I do turn the GPS off when I am not using it however. Is this the "ideal" way to power the GPS and keep it charged? Who knows?? The only time I ever actually use the internal battery is when I temporarily put the GPS in one of our other vehicles.

To be honest, I mostly use the GPS's for its MP3 player function! My wife gave it to me for my birthday a couple of years ago and it would break her heart if I didn't use it! I am a very lucky guy!

Only time I use it is when I am driving lol. You are lucky! I just like looking at the map :)

57Bill

The biggest problem you will have with your GPS unit is if someone sees it when your jeep is unattended, and decides to steal it!

slicerwizard

I always leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter purposely so it will turn on when I turn the car on and turn off when I turn the car off. When I turn off my Jeep, it will ask on the GPS if I want to keep it on battery power or if I want it to turn off with the car, which it will automatically do in 30 seconds if I do not select anything. You think that's okay?
Yes, it's OK - you're using it exactly the way it's designed to be used.

Which battery do you think you're going to run down - the nuvi's? How can it run down when you never use it?

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
The biggest problem you will have with your GPS unit is if someone sees it when your jeep is unattended, and decides to steal it!

Hope that won't happen lol! If I am in a bad area, which I am usually never in, I would take the GPS system out of sight.

Yes, it's OK - you're using it exactly the way it's designed to be used.

Which battery do you think you're going to run down - the nuvi's? How can it run down when you never use it?

Okay, thanks! I am using the battery that came with the GPS - not sure which kind. What I did was suction cuped the mount in the lower left hand corner of my windshield then ran the power cable between the dash and my windshield (just tucked it in there so it wouldn't be ugly lol) and I then ran the wire from there to my cigarette lighter. It's impossible to make it so that no wire is showing, but the only place it shows is right next to my radio where it comes down to plug in.

Below you can see an example of how I set it up. :)

Attachments

• liberty_ltd_dash.jpg
    liberty_ltd_dash.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,540
Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I would advise taking it down everytime you leave your vehicle. And if you happen to be in a bad area take it with you. I had both my old and new GPS stolen out of my car (popped the lock) about a month ago. They went right in the center console and got it. I was fortunate and got them back though because I had the serial numbers wrote down (another piece of advice keep the serial number wrote down). I called local pawn shops and found them. Also the thieves were tracked down too because of that.

Two pieces of advice I will repeat.

1. Never leave your GPS viable. If you are in a known bad area take it with you if you can as an extra precaution.

2. Write down the serial number so in the even that it is stolen you stand a chance of getting it back. Most bad guys will pawn them for the money. Also aids the police in catching them if you get it back from the pawn shop. That is even more satisfaction that you are able to help catch the jerk that stole it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.