Garmin GPS To Control Uniden BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm drawing a blank. Isn't the GPS for location control a separate function?

Also my understanding is that, at least initially, the Sire App will be iPhone based with the Android platform being next on the list.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
GPS does not "control" the scanner, it simply tells the scanner where it is so that it knows which channels to listen to. Nothing more.

sfd119

I think what JASII is trying to say, the GPS could sit on your dash and because it's android, it could have the SIREN app on it thus negating having two devices on the dash/windshield.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It would have to simultaneously output a NMEA serial GPS stream that could be adapted to 9-pin RS-232 and monitor Wi-Fi for the Siren functionality. Since the manual is not yet available for download, it's unclear whether that is possible.

sfd119

You're missing the point. He's not going to hook the GPS up to the scanner.

He now has one device on his dash that can show GPS in his vehicle while he's traveling, bring up the Siren app so he can control his scanner, etc.

JASII

Memory Capacity
You're missing the point. He's not going to hook the GPS up to the scanner.

He now has one device on his dash that can show GPS in his vehicle while he's traveling, bring up the Siren app so he can control his scanner, etc.

Precisely.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I meant to post a bit more follow up a little bit sooner, so I apologize for not getting this until now. Some Garmin automobile GPS units can be connected to an Argent Data GTRANS Cable and the translator converts the proprietary sentences to NMEA 0183 that the Uniden can use https://www.argentdata.com/products/gtrans.html It might be a long shot, but since the Garmin Fleet 660/670 are being offered on the Android platform, I wonder if it is possible that someone could write an Android add that could take the coordinates and feed it to the Unidens.

I, for one, think that it would be quite handy to have a single Garmin automobile GPS that would do the following:

-Navigate like a regular GPS

-Feed NMEA-0183 data to a radio

-Control a radio with an Android app

Sure, it might seem like a bit much for one unit to do, but an older Garmin Nuvi 350/360, with a GTRANS cable, will already do the first two functions simultaneously. so really the question is if a newer GPS can also do the above AND control a radio. I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility. .

I also see that the Garmin Fleet 660/670 has bluetooth. I wonder if we will ever see future Uniden scanners capable of receiving GPS data via bluetooth. I would think that would allow a much cleaner installation in a vehicle without adding additional wires and cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.