Garmin GPSmap 60CSx + APRS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

inPicton

I have recently become interest in aprs and have been using my cellphone and APRSdroid to get started.

I want to use my Yaesu FT-100 transceiver in the car for aprs. What are the various equipment I could use?

I have on hand a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and a SPOT Personal Tracker Gen 1.

I know that I can go the cellphone along with Mobilinkd and perhaps a Byonics device in order to key the transmitter.

Thanks for any help.

73, Paul.
ve3zt

K4NNW

To name a few:
YagTracker (available from RPC Electronics, and what I use in my pickup)
Argent Data Systems Tracker3
Byonics TinyTrak4
I like the YagTracker because I can set up parameters without a computer, as well as see the packets that it receives.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have recently become interest in aprs and have been using my cellphone and APRSdroid to get started.

I want to use my Yaesu FT-100 transceiver in the car for aprs. What are the various equipment I could use?

I have on hand a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and a SPOT Personal Tracker Gen 1.

I know that I can go the cellphone along with Mobilinkd and perhaps a Byonics device in order to key the transmitter.

Thanks for any help.

73, Paul.
ve3zt

Your GPSmap 60 can provide the GPS data via the data port on the back, you'll need to feed that into something like one of the TinyTrak devices from Byonics. The TinyTrak will take care of forming the packet, adding your call sign/ID and keying the radio.

The GPSmap will need to be somewhere it gets a GPS signal, like on the dashboard.

You can purchase plug-n-play cables from Byonics to interface between the GPS and the TinyTrak and between the TinyTrak and your radio.

If you don't want to tie up your GPS with this, you can purchase small "puck" type GPS receivers/antennas that will sit on the dashboard. Byonics usually sells them pretty cheap.

Also, consider how much you want to tie up your radio with this. It can be a bit of a pain if you want to use it for talking, also. Consider an old hand held, surplus commercial radio, or one of the small transmitters that Byonics sells. In reality, you don't need a lot of RF power to run APRS, 5 watts is usually plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.