• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Garmin Rino Repeater Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sboutdoors

Hello all -

I'm relatively new to the world of FRS/GMRS use. I've searched and really can't find an answer so I thought I'd ask from the collective wisdom of the Boards. I need some help / advice please. Have the Garmin Rino 650 that has FRS/GMRS radio operations with a repeater function. Repeater Frequency range is Tx 467.5500 - 467.7250 Rx 462.5500 - 462.7250. Can't find any repeaters in my area that use this range. Don't believe I can modify the unit frequencies. Any advice to make these units work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all

sboutdoors

I did check that - thanks much. No repeaters in my area though. Any advice??

Also, great resource / site, BTW.

Otis413

Nothing I can think of, maybe someone else can help. You might be unlucky enough (like me) to be in an area where GMRS is just not used..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I did check that - thanks much. No repeaters in my area though. Any advice??

Also, great resource / site, BTW.

Nothing you can do with that radio. There are either GMRS repeaters you can use in your area or there isn't. Modifying the radio won't do you any good.

If there are repeaters in your area, you'd need two things:
1. permission from the repeater owner. Repeaters are private property. While some are "open", it's still considered good practice to talk to the owner.
2. A valid FCC GMRS license. You have one, right? Repeater owners will want to know your call sign, in most cases. GMRS requires a license to legally use, there is no way around this.

If you really need reliable communications in your area, a better choice would be to research getting your amateur radio license. There are many more repeaters out there for individuals to use on the amateur bands than there are on GMRS. You will need a different radio, though, and you will need the amateur radio license. Modifying your existing radio to work on the amateur bands isn't an option. The operating frequencies are restricted to the GMRS band and you won't be able to modify that.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I think that is a new record for how fast someone (mmckenna) has suggested the OP get his/her ham license...not going into the fact not everyone needs/wants nor is it practical when dealing with families a ham license, the OP would probably want to look into building a repeater if it was felt one was needed.

fdscan

I think that is a new record for how fast someone (mmckenna) has suggested the OP get his/her ham license...not going into the fact not everyone needs/wants nor is it practical when dealing with families a ham license, the OP would probably want to look into building a repeater if it was felt one was needed.

No need to call him out on it.

He's just trying to make a suggestion to help the guy out... Maybe ham, after all, might be the best option for the OP!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll be the very first to point out that Amateur radio isn't for everyone. I went through the exact same thing with my family about 10 years ago. Ended up getting the GMRS license to cover the family, then outfitting them with mobiles and portables. It worked out so well that after a few years they wanted to get their ham tickets. Truth is, however, that most of them only studied enough to pass the test, but really don't know much more than that.

A GMRS repeater is going to be an expensive undertaking. Yes, you can pick up a cheap one for a few hundred bucks, but by the time you figure in a real set of cans (not $50 mobile duplexers), decent antenna, feed line and the site, it's going to be a very expensive undertaking. That counts on the person knowing how to set all this stuff up, tuning, install, etc. If the person doesn't know how to do this, have all the tools and experience, you would be looking at another bunch of money to pay someone else to do it. I've set up and installed commercial repeaters and done so on real towers. Expecting a hobbyist to do this as a first timer is totally unrealistic.

A much more realistic and attainable solution for wide area communications without having to invest thousands of dollars in equipment, labor and a site is to look at Amateur radio. For the investment of some time studying and $125 for a basic 2 meter hand held, you'll get much more bang for your buck.

If there isn't a GMRS repeater available to the OP, expecting him to jump from buying a consumer grade GMRS radio to putting up his own repeater is an unrealistic expectation. Small steps are the way to go, not the huge leap from a consumer radio to running your own repeater.

I've probably got $70,000 invested in tools, test equipment, training and climbing gear, and installing this stuff is still a big undertaking. I'm not sure how a newcomer is expected to do this with just advice from the internet.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Repeaters are big under takings. If a few other guys would like a repeater in the OP's area then it might be a joint effort in getting one up (if willing). You can't beat real cans, unless your several hundred feet off the ground (or just daft enough to carry real cans up that big of a tower and install them) though the mobile (more specifically Chinese mobile) duplexers are some what cheaper and can be effect if in areas with low rf traffic. But still like mmckenna said, tower, antenna, the repeater (whether it be mobiles or a standalone repeater), feed line…it's a lot and if you have to buy it it isn't cheap.

RandyKnowles

sboutdoors -

You never said in what area you are looking to find GMRS repeaters. While I can understand you may want to preserve your privacy, it's difficult to make suggestions not knowing at least in what general area you are looking for GMRS systems. I generally survey GMRS activity whenever I travel as do some others, and might be familiar with your area. In addition, sometimes system owners/users in this forum see messages here about people looking in their local area and can answer inquiries. Just a suggestion … good luck.

k8zgw

Where are you ??

It seems to be a BIG secret where people are, which I just don't understand ???
I just don't understand this, even some people with an amateur license,
at least they have a "Amateur Radio Badge" in their RR profile, don't list their call.
I have had my Amateur Radio license, since 1960, have moved twice in that time,
and have never hid my location.

Can someone explain why "everyone's" location is such a secret ?

Don , K8ZGW Euclid Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.