Gaston County Officially Moves to VIPER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
If the whole purpose of the UASI system and Viper is improving interoperability, doesn't having the county on one system and the city on another complicate things?
it kinda does yes since it’s a delay when having to call another Comm center for resources needed, However gaston County DOES have the capability to dispatch for Gastonia City and they have each others channels in their consoles. And they can patch the talkgroups together if they need to for a large-scale incident but i guess since UASI has been around a while they opted to keep their system In-place and not switch w/ VIPER.

David

Last edited:

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Yeah it does, I’m not sure why they did that. VIPER has been around for a while and it would have been simpler for Meck & Charlotte City to just join with them but they wanted to have their own system that they could control. A few weeks ago they had to patch talkgroups from UASI to VIPER for a large-scale incident and the patch from UASI sounded like complete crap!

David
UASI was around WAY before VIPER.

RF-Burns

Charlotte has been on a 800Mhz system since 1991 and they started to construct sites for UASI in 1985.View attachment 88243

Yep, you 100% correct BUT the old 4.1 legacy system had absolutely ZERO to do with UASI. That old analog system was a local system bought and paid for by Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. UASI is actually a Federal Grant program thought of in 2003. Even then, UASI didn't start until years later.

Last edited:

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I bought a Bearcat 800XLT to listen to Char-Meck 800mHz around 1988. Wasn't easy, as trunking scanners hadn't been developed at that time.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The basis for VIPER was initially born just prior to the 1999 Special Olympics World Summer games with the old 6038 analog system that covered the triangle area. In 2003 the State Highway Patrol headed the expansion of the 800 system to statewide and the VIPER system was officially born. The P25 conversion to the 1FC system happened June of 2014.

As mentioned above, the Charlotte 800 system has been a thing since the late 80s but with the help of UASI funds and the catalyst of the Democratic National Convention the Charlotte UASI P25 system 2D0 came online in Mecklenburg in 2011. So yes, VIPER has been around since before the UASI P25 system, but Charlotte has been doing 800 much longer and had P25 on the air just a hair earlier. I believe the Cleveland County 2A2 system was the first P25 system online in the state. You'll notice the 1FC, 2A2, & 2D0 system IDs are all very early and closely spaced together compared to recent systems (88C High Point, 89E Asheville, etc)

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Just curious, what is the reach on the Gaston Tower, does it reach into Charlotte?
Actually it reaches far beyond! I get it all the way up north into Catawba County. Here is the map of the footprint.

David

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
So I know that it's confirmed Belmont is on group 18578 on VIPER but has ANYONE confirmed the group they also have listed on UASI of 18500? I have never seen it in use myself and am pretty sure its not valid but if anyone has more info please chime in if you can.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
So I know that it's confirmed Belmont is on group 18578 on VIPER but has ANYONE confirmed the group they also have listed on UASI of 18500? I have never seen it in use myself and am pretty sure its not valid but if anyone has more info please chime in if you can.
The main reason they have it is for one of two reasons, 1) mutual aid reasons, 2) in case Belmont ever wanted to switch to UASI full time. I believe it's the same when GPD and GFD on viper

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Heard new TG not in database today. TG 18641 sounded like Gaston SO Transport officer, telling dispatch he was clear federal courthouse enroute to xxxx Dispatch RID 729976 Deputy RID 721555.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Heard new TG not in database today. TG 18641 sounded like Gaston SO Transport officer, telling dispatch he was clear federal courthouse enroute to xxxx Dispatch RID 729976 Deputy RID 721555.
Just heard it too. "61xx Sheriff's Office on Transport, show me 23"

Status
Not open for further replies.