Gastonia Police radar team freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
From the DB, 453.57500 WNNC428 192.8 PL is listed as the county jail. I scan that when I am in gaston county, but have never heard anything, even when next to the jail. Last week I saw a Gastonia Police radar team working US321 north of I-85, and the observation car was using 453.575 to call out the speeding cars make & speed. There was another car and a motor officer waiting 1/4 mile north to make the stop.

He had to be using a HT on that ch, as I could barely hear it when I passed on the south side of I-85.

When I get some other notes together, I'll submit them to the DB.

wcu02mpa

frequency info

Once upon a time (about 10 years ago) I worked for Gaston County PD...The only county police agency in NC....Good trivia question: name the other two NC County Police agencies that are no longer in existence.

The 453.575 was a TAC channel that was used for simplex only. It was listed it as "VICE" in our radios...also called channel 7. We only used it for ops (It was not a repeater frequency)....such as traffic, serving a warrant or the most important duty....where is lunch today?? I think the system has gone narrowband and they may have re-aligned the channels.

Hope this helps.

Mike....AF4AY

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Good trivia question: name the other two NC County Police agencies that are no longer in existence.

The Charlotte Police Department merged with the Mecklenberg County Police in 1993.

You have me stumped who the other agency is, but I know it had to take place prior to the Mecklenberg Co merger. I'm guessing it might either be Raleigh / Wake, or Wilmington / New Hanover.

>> The 453.575 was a TAC channel that was used for simplex only.

Gaston Co has the frequency licensed for repeater use, with up to 300 watts ERP. I have never heard them use a repeater on the channel, although I do occasionally hear Florence Co, S.C. The latter uses 453.575 / 192.8 R for their transportation of elderly and handicapped citizens.

In light of county law enforcement having to use the animal control and school bus repeaters for L-E activity, one would think they could make use of a repeater on 453.575.

wcu02mpa

453.5750 info

Jeff,

Like I said, I have been gone from Gaston County for quite some time (ten years) and I am sure many chages have taken place. Gaston also had (or still has) a 192.8 PL tone....seems common for UHF departments. 453.7250 was our channel one and 460.075 was channel two. The channel two pretty much had to be used with mobile radios as the handhelds just couldn't use it in the more rural areas....Remember the name...."Gaston Rural Police"???

The other County Police agency was Columbus County.....disbanded many years ago.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.