Gateway Laptop Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenewsden

Last night I was online and suddenly I got the infamous blue screen and then it shut down. Now when I power it up nothing happens on the screen. I assume the worst, but is there anything I can do to try to bring it back? Thanks in advance for any help.

SCPD

QRT
more ifo needed

what operating system does it have and what model of gateway laptop would also be helpful

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
You don't see anything on the screen during the boot process? It's completely blank?

thenewsden

365newi - Gateway Model W340UA and it has Windows Vista

K4IHS - Yes, it is a black screen...the laptop appears to turn on but nothing shows on the screen.

thenewsden

Appears? Do you hear the hard drive or can you see the drive activity light flashing??
If it appears to be booting, maybe you can try hooking up an external monitor if you have one.

It initially makes a sound as if the hard drive is booting but then it stops. The power light is lit, but nothing happens. I could try to hook up my PC monitor to it.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
You should see the Gateway logo... and some F key intructions during the boot. Try pressing F1, F2, F8 or the DEL key during the boot and see what you get. Make sure you have the AC power plugged in. Try what Scott says... hook up an external monitor.

Do you have the restore CD's?

thenewsden

You should see the Gateway logo... and some F key intructions during the boot. Try pressing F1, F2, F8 or the DEL key during the boot and see what you get. Make sure you have the AC power plugged in. Try what Scott says... hook up an external monitor.

Do you have the restore CD's?

I'll try pressing those buttons and see if anything happens.

Not sure what restore CD's are? I have Windows Vista CD's if that is what you're asking.

thenewsden

K4IHS - I tried your suggestion with pressing the buttons and now I have the Gateway logo with the F key instructions. I am getting the hourglass but nothing appears to be happening at the moment. When working correctly it doesn't take this long to boot if that is what it is trying to do.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
The CD's or in your case... most likey DVD's would have come with the computer when you bought it. If not... you would have been given the oportunity to make your own from the menu?

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Reboot and try intermittently tapping the F8 key... if you get a choice... choose last known good configuration.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Forget the external monitor now... if you can see the gateway logo... that confirms your onboard screen is working.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
If you get the hour glass going... let it run and see if it repairs itself. It shouldn't take longer then about 30 minutes.

thenewsden

If you get the hour glass going... let it run and see if it repairs itself. It shouldn't take longer then about 30 minutes.

Well, I tried pressing the F8 key and I did get a menu of options talking about booting but none with the option you stated. I tried rebooting Windows normally which was an option and nothing happened. Now when I turn it on nothing is happening. I am getting the black screen again.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Oh wait... I see it's a gateway. Tap the F10 key during the boot. Choose "lask known good configuration"

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
If you know how... reseat the ROM. Use proper anti-static precautions. If you have 2 slots in use... try swapping them or try alternate booting with just one.

If you have the restore discs... insert it and boot the computer and follow the on screen options.

These notebooks have a know issue with the power supply. It could be bad.

Unless you can service computers... you are about at the end of the rookie list. Take it to a repair shop.

thenewsden

If you know how... reseat the ROM. Use proper anti-static precautions. If you have 2 slots in use... try swapping them or try alternate booting with just one.

If you have the restore discs... insert it and boot the computer and follow the on screen options.

These notebooks have a know issue with the power supply. It could be bad.

Unless you can service computers... you are about at the end of the rookie list. Take it to a repair shop.

Thanks a lot for your help Ralph! I mean I had something on the screen from the reboot a couple tries ago and now nothing is coming up. Computers can be so frustrating.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I run a small repair shop in Fort Myers, FL and service about 20 machines per week. In most cases... the repairs can be made without much effort. Take it to a known respectable shop and get an estimate. Ask your friends about a good shop. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.