GATRRS Austin/Travis County and Uniden SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTR722

Feed Provider
I wanted to post at least some initial observations on having just purchased and running an SDS200 on GATRRS here in Austin. Currently, I am running it side-by-side with a Uniden BCD536 that is attached to my broadcastify feed and already I am seeing improvement with the SDS200 on the number of simulcast distortion issues that the SDS200 is supposed to address.

There are a number of times, usually atmospheric dependent (such as today), where the BCD536 will key up on a TG but there is zero audio, at least for the first radio that is transmitting. So far, I am receiving that audio on the SDS200 when the BCD536 fails.

My second observation is that, side by side, the SDS200 seems to pickup and display the UID faster than the BCD536.

Finally, my final observation mirrors several other observations already posted regarding the general audio quality and I would concur that the audio on the SDS200 is significantly better over the BCD536.

MTF and I hope to probably do a switch out on the radios on my feed in April once I get all the setup completed.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hey KTR722
So I listen to the GATRRS too.. APD and a little Pfluggerville. I live in RoundRock and we know Wilco is all encrypted for Police.

I also got a SDS200 and will say its pretty awesome...can't wait to travel with it / with the GPS. It is so much better in catching signals compared to even the SDS100 which I gave a try. (but sent back).

But I have to say still think sound / clarity / reception still goes to my Unication G5 - its the best. But really loving all the features of the SDS200 and since it does Simulcast pretty good - I will keep it.

Keep on Scannin.

KTR722

Feed Provider
Hey RVACS, glad to hear from you again. Right now I have a older BCD996XT on my broadcastify feed that i am using for the locution channel. Lately the simulcast distortion, which that radio used to be rock solid with, has gotten pretty flaky lately. I am seriously looking at following your advice and upgrading that to a G5. I might be reaching out soon to pick your brain on where to buy and how best to setup.

KTR722

Feed Provider
Well i determined the issue with my BCD996XT on the locution channels for any of those that listen to my feed. I had to rearrange some of my stuff a few weeks ago and had to disconnect that radio from power to move. In the process of reloading on powerup, it defaulted to simulcast 1 instead of simulcast 2. I live out towards Lake Travis and Simulcast 2 is much more stable out here than Simulcast 1. Problem is fixed and it seems much better now.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I had the issue being in Round Rock that to listen to APD you have to do this on Simulcast 1 as the Round Rock tower does not rebroadcast those transmissions and its reserved for Wilco.

Still loving my G5 and my SDS200. G5 is still my Fav....its durable and dependable. I got "Sticks" to autograph the back of it a few weeks ago. Sticks is the Tulsa Gang Police Officer you see on the AE Live PD show....he was at an event in Leander.

Status
Not open for further replies.