GATTRS - Austin / Williamson County - 3 Simulcast Towers - Which talkgroups which towers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I live in Williamson County Area.

GATTRS - P25 - Phase 1 System
3 Simulcast Towers I use - with of course have their own frequencies.
1. Williamson Simulcast (Round Rock, TX)
2. Simulcast 1 (Austin, TX)
3. Simulcast 2 (Austin, TX)

So for example can listen to Austin PD on Simulcast 1 but not on the Williamson Simulcast tower. And for the stuff in the clear for Williamson County area I get that off the Williamson Simulcast Tower.
Is there a way to figure out what talkgroups live on which tower?

Originally I thought that all the talkgroups lived on all the towers but obviously not.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Your understanding of how the system functions is a bit off.

Simulcast 1 (referred to by CoA as Austin/Travis County Wide) is a simulcast cell with an ID of 1.
Simulcast 2 (referred to by CoA as East 620) is a simulcast cell with an ID of 2.
Williamson Simulcast (referred to as WILCO) is a simulcast cell with an ID of 14.

Each "cell" has it's own group of sub-sites which make up the simulcast/voting system for that cell. They otherwise act as three independent sites. When a transmission is repeated on one sub-site, it goes out at all sub-sites in the cell on the same frequency.

A/T CW is primarily aimed for City of and Travis county general coverage. E620 is aimed for coverage in the areas east of 183 and between, 71 and 620. WILCO is aimed at Williamson county. While some of the A/T CW and E620 sites are co-located at the same towers (similar to how Fort Worth has Simulcast 1 for PD's and Simulcast 2 for Fire/EMS and utility), not all of them are. Each is a separate site and requires talk-groups permitted to be used at each site to have radios affiliated at each site to pass traffic between the simulcast cells.

In Motorola terms, a simulcast cell is made up of a Prime site where the trunking control and voting/simulcast signals are processed and planned, there may be several) and a Sub-sites (where the RF hardware is located). A prime site can be co-located at a sub-site or can be an independent (non-RF) location.

rbarker

Robert
Sorry this question has been asked and answered many times but here goes: Williamson Co units (police, fire, EMS, constables everyone in Williamson Co) home system is Williamson Co. So they will be on that. Simulcast 1 is set up for All Travis County Public Safety to include, police, fire, EMS, Sheriff, constables, Parks police, Jail, etc. Simulcast 2 is home for all public works, to include, Street, bridge, Austin Energy, mowers, Animal control, etc. It is possible that Animal control could be on Simulcast 1 but if that's who you want to hear, then Simulcast 2 would be the home system. As an example if a Williamson Co EMS unit were to somehow to to Hays Co then their talkgroup may show up on Simulcast 1 but that would be very rare.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Sorry this question has been asked and answered many times but here goes: Williamson Co units (police, fire, EMS, constables everyone in Williamson Co) home system is Williamson Co. So they will be on that. Simulcast 1 is set up for All Travis County Public Safety to include, police, fire, EMS, Sheriff, constables, Parks police, Jail, etc. Simulcast 2 is home for all public works, to include, Street, bridge, Austin Energy, mowers, Animal control, etc. It is possible that Animal control could be on Simulcast 1 but if that's who you want to hear, then Simulcast 2 would be the home system. As an example if a Williamson Co EMS unit were to somehow to to Hays Co then their talkgroup may show up on Simulcast 1 but that would be very rare.

Yes, this subject matter has been discussed, at length; however, I am curious. Where did the Wiki go associated with explaining this system. From the best of my memory, this touched on how to program the various layers in said system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.