Gauging interest for a GMRS repeater net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQLU507

Traveled back to ATL weekend before last and had the opportunity to meet up with some old friends via RF. I had forgotten just how much fun we had on the GMRS network there. To get an idea of how they work, check out North Georgia GMRS' website here:

http://www.northgeorgiagmrs.com

The group is mainly two way radio hobbyists, some that work or did work in public safety that are also enthusiasts, and some dually licenses HAMs / GMRS. Their repeater net is nothing short of amazing. You can get mobile coverage from just about anywhere. Handi coverage is a little more limited. I want to gauge the interest in possibly setting something like this up here in Charleston. I am in North Charleston, just off Exit 205 (near Trident) so with the right repeater I could cover most of southern summerville, moncks corner, ladson, you get the idea. A dozen or so other members around the metro and we might just get us a nice repeater net up. As hurricane prone as this area is, any communication is better than no communication. I'm sure there are HAM groups that have their own nets, but GRMS nets have, for whatever reason, been the choice of rural SAR in GA, and back in CO. Beyond that, it's just a fun hobby. If anyone is interested in joining in, please shoot me a PM. If it seems like something that is viable, I'll get an idea of cost and location and palms to grease for tower space, etc. etc.

If there's no interest in this area, let me know that too :)

73's to all and be safe!

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
I took a quick look in the ULS and counted only 59 licensee's in the Charleston area. In fact there are only 443 in the entire state. I would venture a guess that there is a lack of interest in GMRS as whole here, let alone any interest in a repeater.
I could be wrong but the numbers just aren't in favor. However, maybe if there was a repeater there would be more interest, it's a long shot.

Thanks anyway,
Ron

LarrySC

The Pickens Communications Group had a repeater on 462.700 for several years. It was removed because no one used it. Most people that are interested in that type of thing just get their Ham Lic. With that and cell phones I assume that GMRS is redundant.

rescuecomm

Actually, the Pickens County repeater is still on the air. As Larry noted, it gets almost no use. Since I have a new wife with no ham radio interest, I might get a license just for emergency use if the cell phone system becomes gridlocked.

Bob

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
The people of Haiti found out after the earthquake that texting still worked even though their cellphone calls wouldn't.

SCPD

QRT
Seems like some people have a problem with GMRS and I do not know why,if they want ot legally use it go for it and do not let anyone discourage your from getting a license and use it.Cell phones do not always work in all situations it has been proven time and again,I know the FCC gave a waiver to organizations to use GMRS after Katrina b/c cell phones did not work.

pcole

GMRS interest...

The name here is Pete and have been living here for 4 years (Moncks Corner) and am a previous GMRS user.
I had a repeater set up in Pittsburgh for many years being used primarily by the members of our fire department.
In fact it's still up and running on 462.575 but not as busy as before. Coverage was great around Pittsburgh and suburbs.
Since living down here I've lost interest hearing nothing on the air. The other problem is having to pay 75 or 80
dollars to use frequencies that so many use for nothing wih Walmart radios.
I am a ham and AREAS member in Berkeley Cty., but would love getting involved in a repeater down here.

N3RNX.....

gman4661

Bigfoot317, just sent you a PM...

There is some interest in the Augusta, GA area for possibly three new GMRS repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.