• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE M-PD Programming software

stewartp5

I have a few GE M-PD personal radios that I am trying to get programmed.

I am trying to figure out what software can currently program these radios, and where the software can be purchase from

I have a copy of the conventional MA/Com programmer Version R17, which I know will program the GE M-PA however for what ever reason it will not read or program my GE M-PD personal radios.

My other question is, is it possible to program the GE M-PD personal radios with the MA/Com programmer version R17?

Thank you,

Peter Stewart

smackdaddy

Premium Subscriber
First off, love this project. The M-PD was such a cool radio back in the day. I wish there were more of them around.

The software for the M-PD was DOS based. For EDACS capable radios, I believe it was called something like EDACS2.EXE or maybe EDACS3.EXE. I believe there was a version for conventional radios as well. But I don't know what it was called.

You will need a GE TQ-3370 RIB and the cable for the M-PA should work. You will likely need a true DOS computer to make it fly.
Finding the software will be a challenge for sure. But hopefully it is out there somewhere.

nueces162

Loved those old MPD radios, built like a lead brick with audio you could hear down the block and still understand what was said -the EDACS software was EDACS 2,3,or 4, there was also a very early one called DACS for the very first trunking MPD's - conventional MPD's used a program simply called conventional (MPD) - the programs are not interchangeable since the boards in conventional and trunking radios are not the same, the only parts that will swap, except for case parts, are the back-plates which are the RF section of the radios - the Interface boxes are hard to find, there were 3 different ones, the 3370, I think one other was a 3310, and a chrome plated box that was a test break-out box with the cables permanently attached - the programs do require an old slow DOS computer, I never got them to work in DOS emulation mode on a newer computer

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
IIRC too, the tracking data is stored by a volatile memory relying on a coin cell backup. The factory tracking data was printed on a sticker inside the radio, should the battery ever die, the radio became inoperable.

12dbsinad

We used to sell/service MPS's back in the day. Built like a tank for sure.

However, BIGGEST complaint about them from users...... I HATE THE RAMP UP/DOWN VOLUME CONTROL!!!

Especially belt worn with speaker mics.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
IIRC too, the tracking data is stored by a volatile memory relying on a coin cell backup. The factory tracking data was printed on a sticker inside the radio, should the battery ever die, the radio became inoperable.

Correct. I had to replace one in my MP-D. Not a button or coin cell, but a round cell about 1/2" long and half the diameter of a pencil.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I know I have MPA & MPD and may be MPR & MPS somewhere still in boxes from a couple of moves. I for sure have the S825 and EDACS software . I'll see if I can locate the MPD disk