• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE MPA Shoulder Mic Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

Hello all-
I have an800mhz MPA and recently bought a GE shoulder mic for it. I want to get an antenna for the shoulder mic (it has a jack on top for one). Does anyone know where I can get a stubby 800mhz antenna for this shoulder mic? Maybe a model number or something?

Also, does putting an antenna on the shoulder mic really make that much of a difference? How much will it improve my reception? The city I am trying to pick up is pretty far away, and I can pick it up fine at my house, just want to see if I can boost the signal a little bit around town.

Thanks!

mitaux8030

Silent Key
With a portable sitting on your belt, your body proximity to the antenna will detune the antenna and cause less signal to be received. When networks are planned, we usually figure on this loss to be an average of 10dB... quite significant. Personally, I'd be budgeting for 15dB.
However when you pull the portable off your belt and hold it up to your face, the antenna is a little more in the clear, that is not so close to your body and so the antenna performs better... still not optimum but definitely better than when on your belt.

The idea of the shoulder mic is to get the antenna away from your body and always have it somewhat out in the open. Again this arrangement isn't optimal, but its better than being on the belt of the user. However counting against this is the loss of the tiny feedline in the mic cord, pulling things back a few dB.

The main advantage of this arrangement is getting the speaker near the users ears, but then any shoulder-mic will do this of course. However a normal shoulder-mic will keep the radio on the belt of the user while they transmit and the detuning of the antenna effect comes into play then, causing a dramatic reduction in the usable range of the radio system.

In your situation, if you had your portable on your belt with a full 1/4 wave whip receiving, but off your belt and near your face to transmit, you'd have the optimum worst standby RX but optimum best TX.
If you replaced this with a stubby helical antenna on a shoulder-mic then you'd have slightly sub-optimum RX & TX due to the lower gain stubby, but being clear of your body. You could improve this by 3dB by using a full 1/4 wave instead of a stubby on the shoulder mic.

If you're looking for the absolute best RF performance, then get yourself a 1/2 wave end fed antenna and hold the radio in your hand. A 1/4 wave elevated feed works just as well (some say a little better but I'm not convinced of that) but is slightly longer in length and not as flexible, so the 1/2 wave end fed is more convenient in my view.
If you must get a shoulder-mic, then the best performance will be realised with a mic that has a short straight cord, not a curly cord type, and using a 1/4 wave antenna on the mic. It's a little less convenient than the stubby for sure, but the stubby antenna knocks off about 3 to 4dB of performance, and combined with the mic cord antenna feedline loss you're starting to loose quite a bit.
Even less physically convenient would be fitting the shoulder mic with a 1/2 wave end fed antenna... but it would give you about 3dB over the 1/4 wave, potentially even more in this situation.

In the end, which way you should go is determined by how you'll use the radio and what level of convenience you want (or inconvenience you're prepared to accept) versus the RF performance you need.

Last edited:

foxracr10

When I used my MPA i moved the antenna from the top of the radio to the top of the mic. Seemed to rx and tx about the same. Maybe rx was a little clearer. My speaker mic also had the straight cord on it if that makes a difference.

jfab

When I used my MPA i moved the antenna from the top of the radio to the top of the mic. Seemed to rx and tx about the same. Maybe rx was a little clearer. My speaker mic also had the straight cord on it if that makes a difference.
What antenna were you using? I tried this but the jack on the mic is too small for the antenna on top of the radio..

foxracr10

It was a standard 3inch rubber antenna that came on top of the MPA. I just unscrewed it from the radio and it screwed right into the speaker mic.

I'll see if i can dig up some pics of the mic and radio.

I dont get to carry an 800 portable anymore :(

n8_1

Outstanding review and opinion

With a portable sitting on your belt, your body proximity to the antenna will detune the antenna and cause less signal to be received. When networks are planned, we usually figure on this loss to be an average of 10dB... quite significant. Personally, I'd be budgeting for 15dB.
However when you pull the portable off your belt and hold it up to your face, the antenna is a little more in the clear, that is not so close to your body and so the antenna performs better... still not optimum but definitely better than when on your belt.

The idea of the shoulder mic is to get the antenna away from your body and always have it somewhat out in the open. Again this arrangement isn't optimal, but its better than being on the belt of the user. However counting against this is the loss of the tiny feedline in the mic cord, pulling things back a few dB.

The main advantage of this arrangement is getting the speaker near the users ears, but then any shoulder-mic will do this of course. However a normal shoulder-mic will keep the radio on the belt of the user while they transmit and the detuning of the antenna effect comes into play then, causing a dramatic reduction in the usable range of the radio system.

In your situation, if you had your portable on your belt with a full 1/4 wave whip receiving, but off your belt and near your face to transmit, you'd have the optimum worst standby RX but optimum best TX.
If you replaced this with a stubby helical antenna on a shoulder-mic then you'd have slightly sub-optimum RX & TX due to the lower gain stubby, but being clear of your body. You could improve this by 3dB by using a full 1/4 wave instead of a stubby on the shoulder mic.

If you're looking for the absolute best RF performance, then get yourself a 1/2 wave end fed antenna and hold the radio in your hand. A 1/4 wave elevated feed works just as well (some say a little better but I'm not convinced of that) but is slightly longer in length and not as flexible, so the 1/2 wave end fed is more convenient in my view.
If you must get a shoulder-mic, then the best performance will be realised with a mic that has a short straight cord, not a curly cord type, and using a 1/4 wave antenna on the mic. It's a little less convenient than the stubby for sure, but the stubby antenna knocks off about 3 to 4dB of performance, and combined with the mic cord antenna feedline loss you're starting to loose quite a bit.
Even less physically convenient would be fitting the shoulder mic with a 1/2 wave end fed antenna... but it would give you about 3dB over the 1/4 wave, potentially even more in this situation.

In the end, which way you should go is determined by how you'll use the radio and what level of convenience you want (or inconvenience you're prepared to accept) versus the RF performance you need.

Thank you. Although, I am a Motorola radio user, this was a great review and very helpful to me as a passer-by in the thread. I am currently struggling with the same decision of going to a speaker mic with antenna since experiencing some TX issues as of late with my CP200. This gives me some good information to ponder.

Status
Not open for further replies.