GE orion Model D2HHg3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know how you can tell if the radio has the narrowband option in it?
Radio is Model Number D2HHG3.....Wondering if it needs to be upgraded i know some have it in reading the web...

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know how you can tell if the radio has the narrowband option in it?
Radio is Model Number D2HHG3.....Wondering if it needs to be upgraded i know some have it in reading the web...
The reference chart I have says the Orion is NB but not P25.

There is a Yahoo group for the GE Orion. You may want to look there, too.

BTW, the GE Orion is also branded under M/A Comm and Ericsson. There is a forum for that under the Commercial and Professional Radio section here on rr. You may have better luck asking the folks that frequent that discussion area.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Check this site. It may help answer your question. It looks like the D2HHG3 is not switchable.
GE Tech Index
I don't see any reference to narrow or wide band in the chart listed above.

The only thing I see is that the D2HHG3 is a 150-174 Mhz, 110 W, Remote Mount Scan, Conventional radio.

Looking over the whole chart you referenced, it looks like the Orion was only made in conventional and EDACS versions.

This thread may shed some more light on the Orions: http://forums.radioreference.com/harris-ma-com-ge-ericsson-forum/156509-orion-radios.html

I found this sales page on the net and it shows the conventional Orion to be both wide and narrow band capable. GE/MA Comm 110 Watt Mobile - Complete Kit - Used - RadiosNLights.com

And this chart lists the Orion under the GE, Ericsson, and M/A Comm labels as being narrowband capable but not P25. http://www.sdpscc.sd.gov/documents/NarrowbandRadios9-30-2009-3.pdf FWIW, this is the same chart that most consultants are using to help agencies determine what equipment needs to be replaced and what can be reprogrammed and used in narrowband mode.

To the OP, I do believe that the Orion can be reprogrammed to narrowband operation. And I am not finding any information to the contrary anywhere.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Older Orions were not switchable, which means they were 25 kHz only. You need a switchable (12.5/25) Orion, which is the narrowbandable version.

A G3 is the older one and would not be narrowbandable unless boards had been replaced at some point. If you have the Revision Menu available, you can see what the "RF Band" is listed as. If it's listed as something like VH SWITCH (switch being the key word), then it's narrowbandable. If the SWITCH is not there, then it's wideband only (as far as I know).

A G7 or G8 would be switchable (narrowbandable).

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
i just checked the other forum and no one replied so thanks again and we were pretty sure it had to go. as its been around awhile.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
i just checked the other forum and no one replied so thanks again and we were pretty sure it had to go. as its been around awhile.
If you can verify the purchase date of that radio, that is another indicator of all this. Radios sold in 1997 or later had to be narrowband compatible. There is a grey area in '95 and '96 where it is not clear if the radios were NB or WB. Pre-1995 is pretty much WB only.

Thunderknight, is there a better reference available to help in figuring these things out? If the charts and documents that I have are not fairly reliable, I would sure like to have something better.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Just for for a little info... I have a G7 Orion and has a date code with a 96 and mine is switchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.