• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Phoenix odd-ball CG tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody familiar with GE Phoenix know how to force in an odd-ball CG tone? It It's a Phoenix SX UHF. I'm using the GE/Panasonic suitcase programmer.

Reelfishguy

I don’t think you can change it to a custom tone. Many years ago I built a stand alone programmer for the Xicor 2212 EEPROMs. Each address coincided with a pre-defined RF frequency and tone that was sent to the microprocessor. I had a thick book from GE that listed the EEPROM address for each frequency. Thank good for PC programming.

lenk911

Yeah looks like I gotta use tones 210.7 and below. I think some real old stuff only goes up to 203.5.
The CTCSS tones are from an EIA standard from the late 1940's. Each was 3.5% apart to compensate for the old reed and solid state filter designs. The top tone was 192.8. Due to the roll-off filtering in the radio, tones above that would leak trough. The mess started when filtering became better, off standard tones creeped upward. The next logical tone was 199.6 which was a no-no because the harmonics of 50 HZ power supplies would trip the decoders. GE started to use 203.5 which was off standard and called it M1 requiring Motorola to have a special PL reed. Motorola started to use 206.5 and EMS systems started to use 210.7. 206.5 was also an SP for early GE radios! Bottom line it played havoc with synthesizer design and programming especially in the Phoenix. Good Luck.

EWC_BDN

That's very cute. The two big public safety radio suppliers trying to make their stuff not compatible with each other since the 1980s nice. I didn't realize this was a thing older than PC programming, or IBM compatible programming as it was probably called.

Status
Not open for further replies.