• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Portable Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphin1

I seen a ad that is selling a GE Portable Radio. The seller said There is no label on the item,it has been removed. I would like to know if anyone can identify the Radio and give me the Model number or maybe know the year or GE line of equipment it was sold under.

Thought it may be a good project for Amateur Radio but would need to locate info on web,free if there?
What would this item be worth?
I have enclosed a photo.

Thanks,Jim.

Attachments

• KGrHqJioE6I1WfJEBOmZCJ2lLw60_3.JPG
    KGrHqJioE6I1WfJEBOmZCJ2lLw60_3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,364

W2NJS

Looks as if it's a VHF portable, but I'm a Motorola person so someone else can jump in and tell you exactly what it is.

It's main value would be on a shelf with other very old GE radios as an exhibit showing the evolution of the company's two-way radio products. As it stands it's worth about $10, IMHO.

nueces162

Its an old GE PortaMobile II, from the antenna probably VHF. GE made them from the 70's until the middle 80's if I recall correctly. Their good feature was that they were LOUD with a lot of audio out of that speaker. Made them popular as radios for motor cops since they were also water resistant and an easy install. They use the crystals and elements from the PE portables of the same era and I remember that those small elements were a PITA to take apart and re-crystal. Value, not much except as a large paperweight or something to display for an example of early radio.

Last edited:

jf4164

U r correct. I have a collection of those. A lot in low band where narrowband doesnt affect me. A few in the 160 band I got from govt surplus and a few in the 460 band I use for my GMRS system. I like them. DEFINITELY NOT FOR THE BEGINNER....

Status
Not open for further replies.