GE Quest Railroad Clean Cab VHF (148-174Mhz) Radio 12R Series II 50W Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hope it's OK to post this here for all you railroad buffs. This it not my listing and I am not affiliated with the seller in anyway. This looks like a nice opportunity for you guys. Hope you don't mind me posting it. He claims to have more than 10 available!

GE Quest Railroad Clean Cab VHF (148-174Mhz) Radio 12R Series II 50W Train

1619748864796.png

Attachments

• 1619748848389.png
    1619748848389.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 42

lenk911

Any idea who really made these radios? I was an engineer with GE Mobile Radio in some of its last years of existence and we recommended Lynchburg build a locomotive radio. But the marketing people rejected it because Motorola owned the train radio market and the electrical environmental protections/voltages/transients made the product too expensive with limited sales. Motorola may have owned the train radio market then but GE was fast becoming owner of the locomotive market over Electromotive. Shame to have to put a brand M radio in these locomotives.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Any idea who really made these radios? I was an engineer with GE Mobile Radio in some of its last years of existence and we recommended Lynchburg build a locomotive radio. But the marketing people rejected it because Motorola owned the train radio market and the electrical environmental protections/voltages/transients made the product too expensive with limited sales. Motorola may have owned the train radio market then but GE was fast becoming owner of the locomotive market over Electromotive. Shame to have to put a brand M radio in these locomotives.

I really don't know anything about them but it's tempting to pick one up. It's preprogrammed with all the common VHF analog railroad frequencies, which are still in use in my area. How are the receivers in these? I'd think they'd be very good.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was assuming these can run on 12VDC...then I thought maybe not? I just saw a Youtube video where they were testing a Riton Clean Cab radio and they were feed it 72V. Anyone know?

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I was assuming these can run on 12VDC...then I thought maybe not? I just saw a Youtube video where they were testing a Riton Clean Cab radio and they were feed it 72V. Anyone know?

Thanks!
From the Ebay description.....

Units will require a 12 volt DC power source capable of handling up to 50 watts of power.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Every clean cab radio I've ever seen has a large, 4-pin connector for external power; two pins are for the 72vdc standard on locomotives these days, while the other two are for 12vdc.

The problem is finding the big connector at a reasonable price; they're not cheap. I used to have a 4-channel locomotive radio (the same form factor but made just before the all-channel radios hit the market) which I used for RX only, for which I simply used alligator clips to the proper 12vdc pins on the big connector.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Every clean cab radio I've ever seen has a large, 4-pin connector for external power; two pins are for the 72vdc standard on locomotives these days, while the other two are for 12vdc.

The problem is finding the big connector at a reasonable price; they're not cheap. I used to have a 4-channel locomotive radio (the same form factor but made just before the all-channel radios hit the market) which I used for RX only, for which I simply used alligator clips to the proper 12vdc pins on the big connector.

These are supplied with the appropriate connector and pre-wired with a pigtail for 12VDC. They're also supplied with the programming cable AND software! I guess it's safe to assume they can't be programmed out of band for receive? I'm thinking maybe MURS?

DOH! Don't know what's wrong with me today...just reread the ad: 148 - 174 MHz!

1619820609167.png

Last edited:

MDScanFan

I searched for a bit and could not find any references to Rx performance or reviews of this radio.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
From the Ebay description.....
Units will require a 12 volt DC power source capable of handling up to 50 watts of power.
I wonder how many people will be mislead by that statement. 50 watts at 12 volts is about 4.2 amps. But, I'm guessing that radio draws a lot more than 4.2 amps when transmitting at 50 watts RF output.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Will it do narrow band? It is not the latest model. I think there is a 3D digital model.

MDScanFan

Do you know what page they are on? I did take a look at that manual but did not see performance specs. Perhaps I missed them.

Moreover than performance specs, in my searching I could not not find any feedback from users of this radio.

The manual I posted covers all the performance specs.

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
We used them at a shortline I worked at. The 12RIIs had poor sensitivity & selectivity compared to the Ritrons and Astro Spectras we used. The 3D series seemed much better on both fronts.

The original 12R model was a Harmon unit, which GE got when they purchased them.

Status
Not open for further replies.