• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ge ranger 150 fire dept radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoOver

Hello,
I have NO idea what I am talking about, but I am going to give this a try. I have a GE Ranger 150 two way radio that I took out of our old ambulance.
This radio currently has the frequency of 154.? in it, for our ambulance to talk to the local hospital. Our local Fire Departments went to a "personal" High Ban system, and we where told that this Ranger 150 could not be changed to the new High Ban System.
I would like to know if there is a use for this Radio? If we can't change it for us to use, can you guys tell who might have a use for it.
I would like for us to either use it or to sell it for the good of our Department.
Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

kf8yk

Your Rangr is not narrowband compliant, nor can it synthesize the 7.5 kHz steps needed for the new VHF allocations created by narrowbanding.

The radio has little value for part 90 public safety or business licensees. Amateur radio operators could convert it to the 2 meter band or you could have it reprogrammed as a marine radio since it originally had FCC type acceptance for both part 90 and part 80.

DoOver

Thank you for the reply KF8YK.
I am a boater. I would be interested in buying it myself, if I can't sell it, if it could be changed to a marine radio.
How hard would that be? How much would you say it would be? Do you know of a shop that could do that for me?
Thanks
Brian

wd8chl

And for marine, it would only be approved if it is the low power version, ie, 25 Watts. Most of those in public safety use were either 50 or 100 W, which is not legal in marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.