Gene Hughes, originator of the much beloved Police Call radio directories has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
COSTIN, Gene Born in Louisville, KY November 25, 1927. Gene Costin moved with his parents at the age of 12 to Los Angeles and loved this community. He lived a full and accomplished life. As a young man Gene devolped interests in politics and astronomy and closely followed developments in both areas throughout his life. He was a passionate civil libertarian and supporter of many liberal causes and other charities. He was well known in the two-way radio communications business and renowned to radio hobbyists nationwide for Police Call, which he published under the name Gene C. Hughes. After retirement he served long hours as a volunteer at the LAPD, for which he received a Volunteer of the Year award from the State of California. He was loved and will be missed by a wonderful family- his devoted wife Mitzi, three children, and their spouses-Cathy Costin (Mitchell Reback), Robert Costin (Yves Yarborox), and John Costin (Rachel Phipps). He was proud of his four grandchildren, Isaac Reback, Mia Reback, Silas Phipps-Costin, and Judah Phipps-Costin, and he adored his dog Murray. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Tower Cancer Research Foundation or a charity of your choice. Services will be private at Gene's request.

Published in the Los Angeles Times on 8/3/2008

Gene's Tribute Site:

http://genecostin.com

Last edited by a moderator:

KC9NCF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I saw this e-mail when I woke up and couldn't believe it. He was a great contributor to us, and his work was top quality. "After retirement he served long hours as a volunteer at the LAPD, for which he received a Volunteer of the Year award from the State of California." That takes someone really dedicated to their community!

Gene obviously loved all that he did and I hope he isn't ever forgotten. Rest In Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.