• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

General Antenna Mounting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetaz834

Now that it is beginning to get warm, I'm planning on doing my first project of the season. At the present time for my 2m rig I'm just running a mag mount vhf antenna in my attic. What I'm planning is to in stall is a regular base antenna but because my lanlord has issues with me attaching a antenna to the house i was going to run a antenna from my behind the garage mounted off of a 20's pole. that will give me about a 30' total height.

My question is at which height should an antenna be guyed? and with an antenna of that height should I have fairly good transmision/reception. At present time with my current setup, I do have fairly good transmissio/reception but wanted to get some opinions. Any comments would be welcomed on this.

k8mcn

firetaz834 said:
Now that it is beginning to get warm, I'm planning on doing my first project of the season. At the present time for my 2m rig I'm just running a mag mount vhf antenna in my attic. What I'm planning is to in stall is a regular base antenna but because my lanlord has issues with me attaching a antenna to the house i was going to run a antenna from my behind the garage mounted off of a 20's pole. that will give me about a 30' total height.

My question is at which height should an antenna be guyed? and with an antenna of that height should I have fairly good transmision/reception. At present time with my current setup, I do have fairly good transmissio/reception but wanted to get some opinions. Any comments would be welcomed on this.

guying would depend a lot on what antenna is up there.
Are you just wanting to work local repeaters? Repeaters a little farther away? SSB work? Give as idea of what your goal is and we can give you a little better advice on what type of antenna and how much guying you need..Good luck!

firetaz834

Sorry about that, my objective is to just work several local repeaters. Mostly use my base unit for skywarn activations for several local counties (just happen to live on the border of 2 counties and do check-ins for both.

The antenna that is I'm planning on installing is a Diamond CP22E, 6.5db 9' vertical base antenna. This would give my total antenna height to be about 30'.

Hope this additional info helps in getting me the answers. Once again thanks in advance for the assistance.

Adding this to the proposed setup of my antenna design.
I have a 5' high wood fence that I'm planning on using as a support base for the antenna mast. I'm planning on mounting support brackets at 1', 2.5' and 4'. The middle bracket will rotate so that when I want to lower the antenna I'll be able to rotate it. I have 15' clearance between the fence and the garage which I plan on using to walk the antenna that way when lowering so that I'll have clearance on the other side not to interfere with other property.

I'm planning on not having the total height of the antenna over 35' due to the fact that approx 40' on a 90 degree angle from the where I want to mount the antenna is a utility cable that I don't want to bring down if the antenna falls.

One last item is that I plan on getting a PVC pipe just slightly larger in diameter than the main diameter of the antenna mast and sinking it about 6" (but based upon the comment I had gotten, putting it deeper) then putting the antenna mast into that. Then adding a cone to the bottom of the mast so that watter would not drain into the ground mount.

I'm hoping that with the way I plan on secure this antenna it will make it quite secure. I also think I have got all the bases covered on this antenna mount. So, what does everyone think on this.

Last edited:

n8emr

firetaz834 said:
Sorry about that, my objective is to just work several local repeaters. Mostly use my base unit for skywarn activations for several local counties (just happen to live on the border of 2 counties and do check-ins for both.

The antenna that is I'm planning on installing is a Diamond CP22E, 6.5db 9' vertical base antenna. This would give my total antenna height to be about 30'.

Hope this additional info helps in getting me the answers. Once again thanks in advance for the assistance.

You shouldn't need to be very high. If your in an area that doesnt have LOTS of heavy winds then get yourself a 1 5ft and 2 or 3 10ft heavy duty mast sections from radio shack. Dig or bore a hole down 3-4ft (DONT FORGET CALL BEFORE YOU DIG PEOPLE). Put the short mast down the hole Put the antenna on the mast and slide that over the mast in the hole. While it will wobble a little it will stay up. If you could sneek a brace to the house your set, if not a set of guys will hold it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.