General Coverage on P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8FAS

I have a gre 600 scanner I have every control channel programed. Which is 4 talk group systems. I did this because I thought when I traveled I would be able to hear my county all over the state. I guess Im wrong I can only hear my local police about two hours away from the county I have programed. Is this just how it works or am i doing something wrong.

Last edited:

N8IAA

I have a gre 600 scanner I have every control channel programed. Which is 4 talk group systems. I did this because I thought when I traveled I would be able to hear my county all over the state. I guess Im wrong I can only hear my local police about two hours away from the county I have programed. Is this just how it works or am i doing something wrong.

Unless your county is on the Michigan statewide system, and, I repeat, and, it has other sites programmed into its system----No you will not hear it two hours away. I know I can't hear my county's system when two hours away, on an external antenna. It is a stretch to hear it a half hour away. 800Mhz sytems tend to be lower power than conventional frequencies.
Larry

KC8FAS

My county is on the the state wide system. For example I can hear them fine on the Petoskey tower just fine but if I go anywhere further south I cant anymore. Petoskey is about an hour away from St.Ignace.

davidbond21

My county is on the the state wide system. For example I can hear them fine on the Petoskey tower just fine but if I go anywhere further south I cant anymore. Petoskey is about an hour away from St.Ignace.

It's very likely what you're experiencing is a problem of affiliation. Essentially, if there is not an actual radio turned to a specific talkgroup and logged onto that specific site, then there is no reason for those repeaters to carry any of that traffic. If there is a site within your county, most of the radios will be affiliated with that site. If the next county over has their own site, and just one radio from your county is affiliated with it, then you'll be able to hear that talkgroup from that site one county over. Now, once you've driven a couple hours away, you're out of range of the original site, and maybe even an adjacent site, and the likelihood of a radio being tuned to one of your county's talkgroups drops dramatically. Hence, you don't hear any of that traffic.

BMYKEL

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

U can set multi site to roam. And put up to 32 contrl channels

JoeyC

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

U can set multi site to roam. And put up to 32 contrl channels

and that will allow you to pick up local traffic as you traverse the state. It will not allow you to hear a talkgroup from across the state, unless a radio in that area is affiliated (and the system allows it).

Status
Not open for further replies.