General Fire/EMS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LMJ

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
314
jimmnn said:
At least Denver EMS can talk to the cops on all channels and the cops likewise in return, even Pridemark can and does talk to Arvada PD. Sure makes things much smoother.

Please stand by for a code 4 to enter the scene.

Jim<
Believe it or not, so can DFD. All agencies can now talk to one another....finally
 

KB9LMJ

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
314
skipshark773 said:
It is a question of interoperability, which is alot more than just having the proper talkgroups and channels in the radio. Interoperability can only be achieved if different agencies and governments can agree to work together.
You mean we actually have to play nice in the sandbox?! I know we've been over this topic before, but....isn't that what the whole state system was supposed to fix??? Is anyone familiar with the MABAS system used in the Chicagoland area? I realize this isn't the Chicago forum and I now live in Co, but it was just too user friendly and made too much sense and didn't cost millions to setup. I just don't see why we have to try and reinvent the wheel out here...there's models everywhere that work pretty well already. Ok, enough of my soap box again.

http://www.mabas.org/ If you're interested...
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,414
What do arson cars do when they are not investigating? Also do they have the power to make arrests??
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,414
Also just for kicks..the fire and paramedic people here. What's the strangest call you've been on?
 

KB9LMJ

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
314
cstockmyer said:
What do arson cars do when they are not investigating? Also do they have the power to make arrests??
\In Denver, they are called Special Police/Arson. They have not only been through the FD academy and have served time on the streets as firemen, they have been through the PD academy as well and carry a gun and are sworn officers. They can make arrests and go to court to help convict arson suspects. They are NOT on the streets as firefighters any more. They have enough to do with all the cases they work that they are 9-5ish. There is a rotating on-call schedule that they are on to respond to fires in the city, so you will hear them on the radio. But, most of the time they are in suits in the office carrying and going to court, etc...
 

KB9LMJ

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
314
cstockmyer said:
Also just for kicks..the fire and paramedic people here. What's the strangest call you've been on?
\Just when you think you've seen the strangest thing you'll ever see, you see something stranger...it never ceases to amaze me.
 

KB9LMJ

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
314
papaelk said:
I would beleave that they are Firefighters
Where I used to work in IL, it was small enough that Arson was FFs when they weren't on a case. They were not sworn PD officers and did not carry a gun, but they would go to court and testify to aid in a conviction. I would assume the smaller depts are pretty much the same out here. Although I do know that a few are set up similar to Denver as far as being off line. They are part of the fire prevention bureau and do inspections, etc...
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,414
MrSpeakEZJr said:
\In Denver, they are called Special Police/Arson. They have not only been through the FD academy and have served time on the streets as firemen, they have been through the PD academy as well and carry a gun and are sworn officers. They can make arrests and go to court to help convict arson suspects. They are NOT on the streets as firefighters any more. They have enough to do with all the cases they work that they are 9-5ish. There is a rotating on-call schedule that they are on to respond to fires in the city, so you will hear them on the radio. But, most of the time they are in suits in the office carrying and going to court, etc...
interesting, how busy is the Arson people in Denver?
 

jimmnn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
14,369
Location
Colorado
cstockmyer said:
interesting, how busy is the Arson people in Denver?
Very busy you will hear them get at least a few calls per-shift and as Travis mentioned the rest of the time filled with investigations, paperwork, inspections and court appearances etc.

You will also hear them up on the DPD dist channels fairly often.

Jim<
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,414
jimmnn said:
Very busy you will hear them get at least a few calls per-shift and as Travis mentioned the rest of the time filled with investigations, paperwork, inspections and court appearances etc.

You will also hear them up on the DPD dist channels fairly often.

Jim<
Wow interesting thanks all. Does most Fire Departments have programs for kids who start fires? Southmetro I know does..the neighbor kids tried to burn down my parents wood stack last year.
 

firescannerbob

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
1,338
Location
Colorado
Don't get too caught up in the "arson" tag. "Arson" investigators don't just investigate arson (a crime) but they also conduct origin and cause investigations on any fire that the fire company officer feels needs a determination. Thats a lot of fires.

I am a fire investigator for the El Paso County SO. Although my title doesn't have the word "arson", I do conduct not only origin and cause investigations, but also criminal investigations. Of course, you have to determine the origin and cause of a fire before you can call it an arson.

In Colorado, a fire investigator has police powers only when in the performance of his/her duties as an arson/fire investigator (Colorado Revised Statute 16-2.5-109) and does NOT have to be a POST certfied officer. That means that they do not have peace officer status 24/7 as a regular peace officer would, and their powers are limited to arson/fire and related offenses (can't write speeding tickets, for example). However, a certified/commissioned peace officer may also be assigned duties as a fire investigator (for example, the deputy in charge of my office), in that case he has full powers, 24/7.
Clear as mud? :)
 
Last edited:

KB9LMJ

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
314
jimmnn said:
,

You will also hear them up on the DPD dist channels fairly often.

Jim<
There's been a few times when DFD has called for help NOW on a scene and PD was all tied up. Arson has come to the rescue before PD got a chance to get there. Most of the time, though, PD is really good about getting a lot of help there fast.
 

cstockmyer

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,414
Do fire departments ever use foam anymore? Or is that mostly deployed at or around airports?
 

firescannerbob

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
1,338
Location
Colorado
cstockmyer said:
Do fire departments ever use foam anymore? Or is that mostly deployed at or around airports?
All of our pumpers carry foam, and have built-in foam applicators, as do the crash trucks.
 

papaelk

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
278
Location
Thornton Co
cstockmyer said:
Do fire departments ever use foam anymore? Or is that mostly deployed at or around airports?


Yes they do still us foam foam ios used for fires that water alone can not be used on. example would be if there was a gasoline fire in a gas station they would need to use foam.
 
Last edited:

papaelk

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
278
Location
Thornton Co
Do fire departments ever use foam anymore? Or is that mostly deployed at or around airports?



Here are some pics of todays propane fire in loveland and looks like foam to me :)

Pictures From www.9news.com
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top