General Fire/EMS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Just for you Jim!

Do all fire rigs and ambulances have the Metro Aid stations on their radios? The ones in the metro area that is.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Just for you Jim!

Do all fire rigs and ambulances have the Metro Aid stations on their radios? The ones in the metro area that is.

Metro Aid?

Mutual Aid you mean?

Also I can be pretty comfortable saying that all EMS and Fire rigs do not have the same anything, especially when it comes to radio communications.

Remember everyone builds there own system for the most part and does not think about the others.

Heck we have a large group of RTD bus drivers who can not even communicate in english in times of a medical or security emergency but I'm sure you also saw that in today's paper.

Jim<

Last edited:

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
jimmnn said:
Heck we have a large group of RTD bus drivers who can not even communicate in english in times of a medical or security emergency but I'm sure you also saw that in today's paper.
Care to elucidate for the benefit of those of us who don't get the `Rocket Mounted Noise', the `Denver Pest', and haven't yet caught a supposed `news broadcast'? (A couple `links' would be probably appropriate?)

cstockmyer

1697 13-041 METRO NET Metro Net (Console-to-Console with DTRS)
1700 13-044 BLUE NE Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid NE Denver Metro
1701 13-045 RED NE Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid NE Denver Metro
1702 13-046 BLUE NW Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid NW Denver Metro (Linked to 156.03 in Boulder)
1703 13-047 RED NW Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid NW Denver Metro (Linked to 155.25 in Boulder)
1704 13-050 BLUE SE Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid SE Denver Metro
1705 13-051 RED SE Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid SE Denver Metro
1706 13-052 BLUE SW Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid SW Denver Metro
1707 13-053 RED SW Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid SW Denver Metro

I mean these. Also did these come into play Pre or Post Columbine?

luke-1

The Network First TG's just came into effect within the last year, or at least into use, but post Columbine for sure.

Columbine is one of the reasons they set up Mutual Aid, or at least are trying to.

cstockmyer

luke-1 said:
The Network First TG's just came into effect within the last year, or at least into use, but post Columbine for sure.

Columbine is one of the reasons they set up Mutual Aid, or at least are trying to.

Interesting..Thanks Luke!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
1697 13-041 METRO NET Metro Net (Console-to-Console with DTRS)
1700 13-044 BLUE NE Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid NE Denver Metro
1701 13-045 RED NE Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid NE Denver Metro
1702 13-046 BLUE NW Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid NW Denver Metro (Linked to 156.03 in Boulder)
1703 13-047 RED NW Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid NW Denver Metro (Linked to 155.25 in Boulder)
1704 13-050 BLUE SE Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid SE Denver Metro
1705 13-051 RED SE Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid SE Denver Metro
1706 13-052 BLUE SW Network First - Law Enforcement Mutual Aid SW Denver Metro
1707 13-053 RED SW Network First - Fire/EMS Mutual Aid SW Denver Metro

I mean these. Also did these come into play Pre or Post Columbine?

Post Columbine by far and are one attempyt to merge DTRS agencies with non but my experiences is they are rarely used and most of the patches are of very poor quality.

And by no means does every AMR ambulance to see driving around have or know what the network first channels are.

Heck your lucky these days if folks have and use NLEC, CLEER, FERN, HEAR etc.

Jim<

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
jimmnn said:
And by no means does every AMR ambulance to see driving around have or know what the network first channels are.

Jim<

And if those AMR rigs are from out of town on transport runs, you can bet they have NO communications capability with local agencies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
And if those AMR rigs are from out of town on transport runs, you can bet they have NO communications capability with local agencies.

Exactly and many EMS providers and FD's for that matter don't even have the ability to monitor the agencies such as police and sheriff that they co-respond with on a daily basis. But I'll remain off that horse for now.

Please stand by for a code 4 to enter the scene.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:

Exactly and many EMS providers and FD's for that matter don't even have the ability to monitor the agencies such as police and sheriff that they co-respond with on a daily basis. But I'll remain off that horse for now.

At least Denver EMS can talk to the cops on all channels and the cops likewise in return, even Pridemark can and does talk to Arvada PD. Sure makes things much smoother.

Please stand by for a code 4 to enter the scene.

Jim<

cstockmyer

So why is not the employees and or state leaning on everyone to get to a point where they can talk or listen to everyone?

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
cstockmyer said:
So why is not the employees and or state leaning on everyone to get to a point where they can talk or listen to everyone?

Who's gonna pay for it (especially when you're dealing with private companies)?
Plus, some agencies get REAL pissy when it comes to letting outside agencies have access to thier TG's (especially PD's...sheesh).

cstockmyer

Why would they not just put in in the contract? That they need to listen, not necessarily talk, but listen to the air for their paramedics safety? Am I just looking at things to simply?

Can Fire Departments talk to each other? Lets say South Metro helps out Littleton, or Englewood. Can one rig talk to another w/o going though dispatch?

Moosemedic

yeah yeah.. BSI , scene safe, yada yada yada.

I purchased my own XTS3000 Model III after an incident where I ended up rolling around on the lawn trying to remove a weapon from the domestic assault supect.

When you're the EMS provider, and the Fire Chief, already on scene asks you to respond routine to check and injured party, and Law Enforcement is digital, you wouldn't do anything different. I fixed the problem myself by purchasing the Digital portable.

Long time ago in a far away galaxy.... No it was closer, I think, just a while ago: We were dispatched to a House on Fire, with a party inside. Rolled up in the Engine to find the LEO under his Crusier. Apparently he was doing a Welfare Check on a SUICIDAL party, who FIREd on him from inside the house. That was VHF vs UHF, and easily remedied if the two different Dispatchers listened to each other.

Same story is played out all over the country. DTRS is more complicated becuase you not only have to overcome the radio licensure / talkgroup authorization issues, the quick solution in a $500 scanner, provided it's on, and you're listening.

Oh yeah, one last comment;
I asked the question how to reprogram my XTS on the DTRS for this very reason and got BLASTED in this forum.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Most government groups disregard input from employees because the "experts" hired by the agencies claim they know better than the workers.
The state has their own problems to work out before they start dictating to the locals.

skipshark773

It is a question of interoperability, which is alot more than just having the proper talkgroups and channels in the radio. Interoperability can only be achieved if different agencies and governments can agree to work together. As they say, a system is only as fragmented as the governments it represents. Here in Fort Collins, PFA and PVH have the CSU PD dispatch talkgroup as their channel 7 so that they can respond and coordinate directly with the officers of that department. This is only possible through a long standing agreement between the two departments. Without the underlying will to cooperate together, the channel could be there but be absolutely useless. Although it makes the most sense to share talkgrops between agencies, remember that this is also a game of politics too...

cstockmyer

When DFD fire fighters go to a radio to radio talk group, that does not go though a repeater right? So if someone wanted to hear them you'd have to be close by..right?

cstockmyer

papaelk said:
That would be a simplex Channel if im not mistaken and yes you would have to be with in a short distance!

That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure....Thanks Roy!

Status
Not open for further replies.