General help w/new SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlied

Just received mine and it had never been opened. Was sold as store demo.
It is so confusing.
The users manual looks like the words from a dictionary thrown at a sheet of paper.
I want to program in 6 NXDN conventional frequencies in my county and the P25 type 1 trunking system in an adjacent county.
Is there a guide or a piece of software that would make this easier to understand or maybe step by step?
I’ve updated the firmware and bought the NXDN and DMR keys.

charlied

Can someone please guide me to properly enter the info that I need.
I keep getting No TGID on the screen even though I’ve entered it several times hence Im doing it wrong.
What goes where?
I’m just going to delete everything because I know it’s not right.
i have attached a pick of the RR database page on the

Attachments

• 7E76B3EA-0F68-4BB2-BFA9-C9E110EDCB16.jpeg
    7E76B3EA-0F68-4BB2-BFA9-C9E110EDCB16.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 28

joekodak

Premium Subscriber
You can use Uniden's free software called Sentinel to program your radio. Sentinel only works on Windows and you might need a USB driver to get the radio to be recognized (Windows issue, not a radio issue). Sentinel can read info from Radio Reference database and programming is a little like point and click. Here is a link to scannermaster.com that has some
good info -> DIY Uniden SDS100 | Sentinel Software

As a demo unit, you might start with having Sentinel "Clean User Data" to wipe out anything on the SD card. Just be aware that this step will erase all data on the card and install the files necessary to operate the radio, no frequencies or preferences will be there.

A quick option might be to go through the SDS100 menu and setup Zip Code scanning. You enter your zip code, set a range in miles and let it scan. Might need to turn on/off Services such as LEO, Fire, EMS, etc.

Trunking, P25, NXDN are sophisticated ways to share the limited airways with thousands of devices using the same frequencies. If you just enter a frequency and let the radio sit there, you might hear something, maybe not, and if you do it might only be one side of the conversation.

There are lots of RR members that started in the same spot you are in, including me. Read some of the forums specific to your Uniden radio, and also Alabama forums. There may be someone near you that can help guide you. Learning some things on the Internet is like someone emailing directions for riding a bike but just one step at a time.

joekodak

Premium Subscriber
Last post, promise, there are many good video's by zipscanners.com, scannermaster.com, YouTube.com and others that address using Sentinel software, SDS100 programming, etc. Your scanner is an amazing radio, a complex computer in your hand, with loads of features. Once you get over the initial "how do I?" stuff you'll enjoy it greatly. Good luck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I apologize Admin.
Houston County is a P25 system.
I attached the RR page.
Looking at your county, Geneva, in the database, I see three NXDN, conventional, frequencies listed for separate agencies. You mentioned six. Apparently, the other three are not in the database. The ones in the database, along with the other conventional frequencies in use, are in the main database and can simply be appended to a Favorites list. Then, you could see how they show up, and enter the other three not in the db. If you can confirm the other three, along with what they are being used for, please submit to the database so that it can be updated.

For Houston County, the county itself shows to have talkgroups on this NXDN system:

The P25 system is for Dothan.
There are only a few listed talkgroups, yet a large number of frequencies listed for this system. I suspect that there may be more TGIDs in use on the system, so if added to a Favorites list, I would suggest setting it to ID Search instead of ID Scan.

I see NXDN conventional channels for Kinsey & Rehoboth. (are these actually two of the six (total) that you mentioned for NXDN?

All of the Houston County frequencies & systems are also in the main database, so they too can be appended to a Favorites list.

I also see NXDN in use in two other adjacent counties, Covington & Coffee.

charlied

I did get the NXDN upgrade as well as the DMA.
i have performed a “discovery” on Dothan Public Safety P25 and have found the system and can hear Dothan and Houston Co SO.
Is there any way to take the “discovery” info and input the info into my “favorites” list so I won’t have to do the “discovery” every time.
All law enforcement in Geneva County have gone over to NXDN. Fire and rescue remain on conventional VHF.
Some like Geneva Co SO kept their original 159.150 (RAN 1) but Hartford chose a frequency from the Bellwood license. You have to go to all licenses in Geneva County to see that list.
It’s a mystery to me why the the frequency changes and system changes don’t show up under the normal County list for all the LE agencies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Everything in the database is user submissions. Someone has to monitor the system and submit the info before it gets added.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I did get the NXDN upgrade as well as the DMA.
i have performed a “discovery” on Dothan Public Safety P25 and have found the system and can hear Dothan and Houston Co SO.
Is there any way to take the “discovery” info and input the info into my “favorites” list so I won’t have to do the “discovery” every time.
All law enforcement in Geneva County have gone over to NXDN. Fire and rescue remain on conventional VHF.
Some like Geneva Co SO kept their original 159.150 (RAN 1) but Hartford chose a frequency from the Bellwood license. You have to go to all licenses in Geneva County to see that list.
It’s a mystery to me why the the frequency changes and system changes don’t show up under the normal County list for all the LE agencies.
You do have the option, when running a discorery session, to have the scanner auto-store the frequencies (for Conventional frequencies) or talkgroups (for Trunked systems). Once they are stored, you can read the scanner into Sentinel & review them. You can also import the Discovery log and recordings via Sentinel, so that you can review the talkgroups or frequencies found, and listen to the recordings to aid in identifying the agency and usage.

More on using Discovery mode can be found on the Easier to Read Manual site.

Status
Not open for further replies.