• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

General Hytera Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireradio

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in some Hytera gear, but am completely inexperienced with their products.

I know the firmware updates are distributed through their dealers, but is there a central website where they announce new firmware releases? How would you find out new firmware is available without bugging a dealer all the time?

Also looking for a comparison of the PD682 vs. PD782. I like the idea of a smaller radio, so I'm leaning toward the 682s. Curious to know if anyone's experiences offer compelling reasons to choose one over the other.

Thanks!

MSS-Dave

Updates are through Hytera's main website but CPS and firmware updates are not available to the general public, only to dealers with a login. That stuff does seem to get redistributed fairly quickly though.

We sell a lot of 682 and customers are very happy with them. We sell more of the 602 Series without display because those typically go to hospitality and other users not needing display but still very rugged. I personally carry a 782 for field testing because I like the larger size and the layout and also the audio quality for me is better.

With version 8 firmware out for both radios, they should be very equal in features. They take the same CPS but two completely different programming cables and accessories like batteries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

dazey77

I don't have either radio, so take my words for what they are! I have however looked at the 682/685 before getting the X1P and a 375

My focus was really on small and light (hence the X1P). The 6xx series are also attractive due to relatively light weight, small size and much lower cost. Personally I wouldn't be tied between the 6xx and 7xx, more the 6xx and 9xx. The 9xx series is lower weight than the 7xx for the same battery size, more features and longer battery life. Both the 7xx and 9xx are physically bigger though.

PD685- 310g 1500mah batt, PD785 360g 2000mah batt, PD985 335g 2000mah batt.

Between your choices I would do the 6xx.

Firmware:
You can find it all listed on Hytera site. Can't download without an account but it tells you the most up to date.
Hytera

rpurchases10

| MEMBER |
Premium Subscriber
Couple of quick notes:
(Good & Bad features with each model)

The PD682 has a VERY LIGHT PTT button press..

The PD682 only has ONE "side" button (above the PTT) and no "Top" button
(for mayday/emergency use) // The PD782 has 2 "side" buttons and a "top" button (all are programmable in CPS for 2 functions @.... "short press" and "long press")

The PD682 covers the spectrum of the PD782 U1 AND U2 models (400-512 or 520mhz)
(vs. U1 400-450 / U2 450-520)

The PD682 comes w/GPS built-in (the "G" option on the 782 ---> ex: PD782G-u2

The PD682 battery life (analog only and dmr and "dual" use) is FAR less than both of the
batts available for the 782 (the bl2006 / 2008)

The PD682 is smaller / thinner / lighter

Antenna connectors are "opposite" (sma male on the 782 / female on the 682) (X1P and X1E antennas are the same style as the 682 -- definitely get the titanium antenna ! for looks alone, def. worth the $$ LOL)

The 682 keyboard is more flimsy -- I lost a key ! (wife caught it on fingernail & the "green" front key snapped right off !. --- no more "spa days" as punishment !)

I also have 2 X1P's (U1 and U2) -- never figured out how to go "out of band" either way. (U1 "UP" for "T-Band" for work / U2 "DOWN" for ham use) Gave these to the daughters for GMRS use -- too delicate for me to chance dropping :)

AND.. 2 X1E's (U1 and U2) only purpose is for EXTREME covert work where no minimal channels and minimal functions and minimal controls and on and on and on and on.... Waste of $$$ for most folk.

After a few years of "playing" -- My "daily carry" is the PD782-G-U2. I have dropped it many times - many of the many were onto pavement. It is a bit "battle worn". (a small "ding" in one corner and a slight scratch on the display -- both occurred during a fall from atop a vehicle onto my driveway. (better the radio than the coffee, right?) It's awesome and incredibly powerful as far as field programming goes. - the only "missing item" -- > channel "name". PLEASE FIX THAT HYTERA !

You really can't go wrong w/ Hytera. Just find a good dealer.

Disclaimer: The recommendation for Hytera brand gear is after using a multitude of radios over a few decades. It can't touch the APX 7000 or 8000's, but it's analog/dmr and not p25... The Hytera DOES beat the "TYT" md-380 and md-390. & ANYTHING that Connect Systems finds in a Chicom back-alley factory and slaps a sticker on & The Baeofeng and Kirisun and Kydera DMR portables. & The Motorola XPR6550.

I haven't had a chance to carry and use an xpr-7550e yet, but already know that the lack of conventional "SMA m or f " connector and lack of "FPP" capabilities are going to hurt. Despite that, the radio DOES get good reviews from friends & also is capable of the same 400-520mhz spread as the PD682... so would probably be a good public safety low-tier and ham combo radio.

Oops - forgot one thing: The MD782 series (mobiles) have the SAME cps and SAME menu structure as the PD782 portables. Should make for an easy transition to the brand/series for agencies that issue portables and whose vehicles have mobiles..

dazey77

Thanks for that post, some nice info. Some little questions:
-Is the PD6xx battery life worse just because it has a smaller battery? What I am getting at is that you can get the 2000mah battery for it (BL2010) which matches the standard 7xx battery capacity. You can't get a smaller capacity battery for the 7xx or 9xx, so depending on the life you want your radio to have either model has an advantage. The 7xx has options up to 3000mah, the 6xx stopping at 2000mah.
-I find the ptt light on the X1P as well, is the 6xx even lighter or is it just the 7xx that is heavier?
-How do you find the X1P titanium antenna reception vs the stock antenna? Would be great to know!

I hadn't appreciated the antennas changed gender between the models!

I also hadn't picked up the missing button on the 6xx (the X1p of course having only one side button but also the top button/emergency button). To me the programmable buttons do make a big difference to usability and loosing one vs the X1p would be an annoyance.

romanr

I've got one PD-782G (VHF) here and I can add that it is much louder than any of the XPR7550's or XPR7550e's - and the audio sounds good even at the elevated levels.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its sad that the Radio Industry hide eveything from the Customer. No Manuals, Datasheet, Firmware, Software,... is available for self service. That sucks a lot.

razorseal

So I just purchased a used 782... How will I update the firmware on it? And where do I download the cps? Don't tell me I gotta go through a dealer... ��

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I could tell you that, but it wouldn't be true! Did you somehow miss Post #2 above?
Updates are through Hytera's main website but CPS and firmware updates are not available to the general public, only to dealers with a login. That stuff does seem to get redistributed fairly quickly though.

rpurchases10

| MEMBER |
Premium Subscriber
GREAT New Firmware Update Feature !!

(FW = A8.05.06.005 / NA2 Region)
I'm sure it applies to all other regions as well...
The FW Update tool is NOT "Region Specific" and generally updates ALL models/regions
with a few exceptions here & there... like the PD362/365/375 and the PD982+G and Tetra models)

I violated my own "rules" and applied the FW the second I got it. No waiting for everything to be
"ironed out". JUST FOR A SINGLE NEW FEATURE. ("Channel Alias" modification via FPP)

Though they offer miserable factory/mfg support. (they expect you to obtain support and service from
to be handled via your "local dealer" - who never seem to be public safety or ham "friendly") There are a few dealers around who are ok, but nothing close to most people I've spoken to concerning this matter..

For a "Chinese Radio".. (Not meant in a disparaging way -- just seems to be what they are referred as for some reason ... The prices certainly are NOT "Baeofeng-Like" and the construction is really
equal to /\/\ .):

Hytera really makes a great radio (the X1P series / PD782 + PD782G / PD682 / MD782 +G / Etc)

They have kept the majority of their radios "future resistant" with the ability to flash the firmware
of almost every radio up to the current version. (My first test w/ the above new firmware version was
done with my own of my own personal radios and the FIRST PD782 I ever purchased. It's a v1 radio
that has a rubber external connector cover that just snaps into place - vs. the newer "screw" style which
actually stays in place after gently tightening the screw. I was able to update the FW in this particular
radio about 9 or 10 times to bring it from 1.x to the current 8.x.x.x .

The same applies to the mobiles & repeaters (my only experience is with the RD982 and MD782 series)
The gear is well made and has great features (with certain exceptions -- like the X1p/PD682 LIGHT PTT button press which always seems to keep our seemingly private local conversations going out over the air on a regular basis.)

AND... my other complaint of the day (having an MD782G w/remote kit and an APX7550 installed in my wife's new Tahoe this week. & The Hytera is killing us with the physical size of the interconnection cable and connector)

I'm sure glad they do make a "remote mount" kit for the mobile MD782 series, though the proprietary
cable is a bit bulky and they really should have chosen to utilize cat5/6/7 cable - shielded or unshielded -
with RJ45 standard style connectors for ease of installation and cost savings)
If you do your research first and select the right model (not all are as well constructed as the above)

THE BEST FEATURE: FPP Feature Set Feature Now Includes the Ability to
Modify the "Channel Name / Alias" in the field w/o requiring CPS.
(See Detailed Description of Feature Way Down Below)

Though Hytera has been fairly good on their options when programming in the field,
they have always lacked a method of modifying the "Channel Name / Alias".

(Times have really changed quite a bit -- There are so many detailed options and settings
that make the use of "FPP" very cumbersome to program large amounts of information, but
the ability to make small-scale modifications to a radio config in the field are fairly critical for
several scenarios....)

Just some that come to mind:
public safety agencies that cover large areas that they might only rarely respond to and
need to add /change info expediently & "HAM"/ Amateur Radio use.

I routinely program several "zones" for future "FPP" use & add 16 pre-programmed "Channels" in
that zone w/basic settings to permit in-field programming w/o requiring the addition of anything
by CPS..

(several ex: "ZN-20: FPP PS-F A/N" / "ZN-21: FPP PS-F A/W" / "ZN-30: FPP PS-LE DMR")

ZN-XX is the "Zone #" / FPP indicates the channels in this zone are not pre-programmed &
intended to be used as a field-expedient and field programmable.

PS indicates it's a public-safety zone with the "F" = Fire / "LE" = Law Enforcement / etc..
(also use --> "HAM" = Amateur Radio -- with an S for Simplex or R for Repeater)

A = Analog (conventional / non-trunked) + "N" for 12.5khz "Narrowband" channel spacing /
"W" for 25khz "Wideband" channel spacing (for T-Band systems that opted out of the 2013
FCC Narrowband Mandate once King Obama sold everyone using that valuable spectrum and
the FCC permitted current licensees to skip the "narrowbanding" process as their licenses would
soon expire... (Sorry - got off topic for a sec LOL) -- and "W" would also apply to several of the
VHF MURS freqs and the UHF GMRS freq pairs used w/repeaters etc.. AND -- of course --
"HAM" Amateur Radio use in 70cm ("UHF") and 2m ("VHF") bands.

THEN -- The Channels.
ZN XX / CH 01: FPP 01
ZN XX / CH 02: FPP 02
Continued...

AND a small set of empty forms printed on small 5x6 card stock and packaged in w/ a
"NIFOG" bound book and a "sharpie".

When programming a specific "FPP Channel" for a designated function, I would write
the full description on the form (Forms contain the following fields):

ZN (zone) / CH (channel # in particular zone) / ALIAS (channel "name") / DESCRIPTION /
TX Freq / RX Freq / TX PL or DPL / RX PL or DPL or CSQ / Etc..... (DMR digital info for those
particular channels as well)

ALL GONE !!!! NO MORE SHARPIES OR BROKEN PENCIL POINTS OR WET FORMS !

HYTERA NOW HAS AN OPTION (Enabled/Disabled in CPS under Menu Items)
FOR: "CHANNEL ALIAS". (You can now modify the "Channel Name" that appears on the radio
display while modifying the other "channel parameters" such as RX Freq / TX Freq / RX PL-DPL /
TX PL-DPL / -- and for DMR --> CC / Slot / TX Contact ID / RX Group List / Etc...)

FORGOT... THIS ONLY WORKS W/ "DISPLAY RADIOS" like the X1P / PD682 /
PD782 +G / MD782 +G / Etc... The lower tier & "covert" models really do require CPS
for any change in settings.

----------

Mini-Novel now complete ! (actually it was intended to be several posts, but I just copied/pasted into one to save time)

:)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

MSS-Dave

US

cps - na2
fw- all regions

The version of firmware you quoted did NOT come from Hytera US. Came from Hytera's UK site.

PD78X*/78X*G Customer Programming Software V8.01.02.006.NA2 (LATEST VERSION)
PD78X*/78X*G Subscriber to V8.01.03.005

These items above are straight from the dealer portal on Hytera.US and is also applicable to the PD6x radios. For reference, Gigaparts lists the exact same CPS / Firmware packages as above because they work directly with Hytera's US division.

For the most part, US spec radios upgraded with firmware/CPS versions obtained outside the US market work fine. The problem will occur if your radio bricks for any reason and you try to get support from Hytera's US support team. Painful if you just spent big coin on a new radio and it fails on an upgrade package not provided by the US group for some reason. As the above package versions are the latest, approved versions for US radios, their position seems to be that the 8.05.x.x is NOT supported in the USA. I'm trying to get support on this very issue but not getting very far. However in fairness, most of South Florida got hammered with a hurricane last week and disrupted a lot of things. Even my power was out 12 hours shy of 1 full week where I am.

My point..... Be aware of what you are loading into your radio and the source. The latest is not always the greatest when it comes to features loaded via firmware upgrades. Motorola APX7000 radios come to mind...

Hytera is a great product, I sell the ton out of it commercially and most customers love the way they work in all tiers of the gear. They have now become very popular in the ham market, directly competing with Motorola's DMR gear. The fact that Hytera will provide their CPS for FREE is a HUGE advantage for the ham wanting a great commercial quality radio to use on DMR.

DISCLAIMER*

I am not an official Hytera spokesman. Any of the above information can change at any moment. I'm just passing info I have available along to those with Hytera product to help prevent what I call

"Upgrade Beyond Usefulness".

Dave

dazey77

Firstly, thanks for the heads up on the new functionality in 8.05.06.

Secondly, I had already updated an X1p, note that this functionality is not active unless you tick the channel alias programming box in Conventional/Menu. I hadn't noticed the new feature but will blow it in now :)

Nice to see Dave survived, had no idea your power was out that long.

I see CPS is now V8.05.06.008.NA2, I was at 8.01.02.006.NA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.