General mobile antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
When using a mag mount antenna indoors, is it necessary to have it sitting on a metal plate of some kind, or would it work just as well sitting on the top of my desk?

Thanks in advance for any info / comments / suggestions y'all can throw my way.

SSSG

:)

hoser147

They are made to work with a Ground plane, when in the house Ive used a metal filing cabinet or safe top before in the window Ive just used a little tin lid like the ones that you see decorating the kitchen or for a cookie tin.........Hoser

PFCCooper

Ok I have a question, Does it make a big difference range wise if i don't have the mag mount on something metal? I just have it sitting on my desk.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Ok I have a question, Does it make a big difference range wise if i don't have the mag mount on something metal? I just have it sitting on my desk.

It sure will!!! The bigger flat piece of metal the better. unless you have ground radials on it. and there are ground plane kits to make them into base antennas if they are NMO mount antennas.

Eric burris

nd5y

You probably have flat metal in your kitchen. Aluminum foil. It works good as long as you don't move the antenna around and tear it up.

RodStrong

I've got an old RS mag mount sitting inside a metal coffee can for a throwdown scanner in my garage. Probably not the most efficient, but it picks up the vhf and uhf stuff I need better than without the can. Just a thought. Good luck.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
It will receive if you just sit it on your desk, however, I've found that if I were to stick it on even a cookie sheet, the received signal increases noticeably. Many people like to stick them on filing cabinets or some other convenient metal object. So yes, it does help from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.