• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

General Moto radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NEC

I have a query for everyone that has worked with or repaired radios.
When you see a radio marked "does not power" or get one that comes into the shop for that reason, what is your go-to "this is what's going on"? I always see these radios and they tend to go for pretty cheap and I have always wondered what could be causing that problem. Could it be the power knob/button? Is it an internal fuse? Does it have to do with the contacts from the battery/power supply? If so, how cheap is it to repair these radios? Or are they just meant to be thrown out

I'm just curious how this would get dealt with.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
First thing I usually check is the flex ribbons... If those seem okay, I'll check to see if the portable/mobile is getting the correct amount of "juice" I've also come to start checking the gaskets/rating of the unit, as sometimes departments dont purchase intrinsically safe radios, and don't disclose that they've sent a SCUBA guy into a lake with the portable, lol.

a417

it depends on the style of radio for me, TBH.

MCS series - swap the control head (cabling if req'd) with a known good head from the bench, saw an inordinately high number of model I heads get the coffee bath (due to a completely asinine console design) and the head would die, but the deck would come back to life with a different head on it...then i'd dive into the head with the service manual. Didn't see too many dead RF decks, etc...

CDMs - they were deemed essentially disposable at the time we had them, and i'd end up looking as far as the physical power switch on the head...if that was good I'd just end up junking the units and convincing the higher ups that a more suitable radio should replace the taxi radio I just took apart...

Spectras - I'd end up over at Mike B's website trying to figure out common issues, etc..usually ended up being bad cabling.

Pro series HTs was usually the water bath @Ant9270 mentioned, and the infamous fuse "F501" on the main board.

kenwood TK mobiles - i'd start at the power plug and see how far into the circuit I found the appropriate voltages...

PACNWDude

+1 on the water bath and F501 fuse. This also goes for the radios that were placed on desks with spilled coffee for hours on end. One employer, we kept a running list of what was spilled onto Motorola radios, and Voice Processing Modules (VPM's) when they were reported to have failed. Even with IS rated radios, many do not do dunk tests, or nitrogen purge as part of maintenance. Flex connectors, broken or loose, corroded flex contacts, and many radios run over by small forklifts often fail to power up afterward. Great post and thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.